NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to come down to Beaufort for some red fishing am I in the right area.Trailering a boat down are there boat ramps in this area and how far to go fishing in backwater areas THANKS mobilemhd

·
Registered
319 Posts
you are in the right area. but the timing is the question.

things are a little quite now with the big freeze.

As far as where to go, there are the haystacks on the other side of the high rise bridge between Morehead and Beaufort as well as behind Shackleford banks. Others may have some more tips.

Anchorage marina over in Atlantic Beach has a ramp (as well as some others) and here are two wildlife access points close to the area:

Morehead City/Carteret County
N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission
Behind the visitors’ center on U.S. 70, 2.7 miles east of the U.S. 70 and N.C. 24 intersection
Speckled trout, spot, croaker, flounder

Cedar Point/Carteret County
N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission
On N.C. 24, 2.5 miles from the N.C. 24/58 intersection in Cape Carteret.
Speckled trout, red drum, spot, croaker, flounder

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
...As far as where to go, there are the haystacks on the other side of the high rise bridge between Morehead and Beaufort as well as behind Shackleford banks.
Those are the two areas closest to MHC that I've fished (from kayak both times). For the Haystacks I launched from the public ramp at Turner St and W. Beaufort Rd on the Beaufort side of the bridge. There's a big marina there so plenty of water for big boats. Cross a couple of ICW channels as you head back toward MHC and you're into the haystack area. Some bigger creeks running through the marsh where we came across folks in power boats sitting in the deeper holes.

I've also launched from the Taylor's Creek boat ramp further up in Beaufort and paddled north around the top of Carrot Island to fish some of the tidal creeks on the backside. Didn't seem like a real boat friendly area, but great for kayaks/wading. Could see Shackleford Banks across the bay, but didn't try to get out there. Check this thread for info on Taylor's Creek - http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f84/taylor-s-creek-beaufort-3422.html

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
We have what we call oyster rocks which aren't rocks at all but rather are clumps of oyster shells. We do have a lot of sand shoals though and they shift and can get shallow in a hurry. Most other rocks you find around here are put there by man, jetties, dumping, etc.

As to tides, they run between 3-5 feet for the most part around here depending on the lunar phase. Here's a link to a good site for tide tables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.