NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some sort of unwritten rule that when you buy a bass boat with 175+ hp, you are exempt from all boating and fishing etiquette?
I fished Lake Norman Saturday along with too many bass boats to count. There must've been a huge tournament going on from the number of boats out there. On numerous occasions I was drifting and trying to fish when bass boats would zip past me within a few yards. A few times, I was worried my lines would get cut by there props:eek:. Also, early in the day the fog was so thick you could hardly see where you were going but they were still zipping along full throttle.
I'm sure there were many safe and courteous anglers fishing the tournamnet Saturday but there were also a huge number who had no reguard for others on the lake. I know they were fishing a tournament with probably big money on the line but this doesn't give them the right to jeopardize my safety or even interfere with my enjoyment of fishing. I was really tempted to try to find a few of them fishing and see if I could wash them up on the bank as my boat can throw a much larger wake than theirs:eek: but like Momma says, two wrongs does not make a right so when the time came, I headed back to my truck, loaded my boat, and headed home.
Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent,

Dave

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
unless they actually make contact with your boat there aint much you can do..

there is no courtus nature in big money tourny's anymore. which is sad to say but true.. money can turn a nice guy into a real butt head in a hurry..

on average most bass rigs running fast only stick down 20" at the most. so if your trolling at 8-12 feet-typical striper range- it should not effect your baits or lines.
planer boards are probly the worst as you can't see them till it is too late..-and your all up in the line by then-

i have come close to contactin another boat a couple times over the years.. most recent was on badin in heavy fog. got way close to a striper boat trollin. once i seen it was a boat i got hard on it and just barely missed his planer board.. and btw i was not running more than 20 mph due to vizablity..

zooker

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yes there is an unwritten rule... and also I'll add, Them high speed bass buggy owners aren't "real" boaters... everyone knows that. Just ask one one time.. Hey, what's a red nun can? ;)

They (bass buggy owners) say they need the HP to "beat" the other guy to the fishin hole, especially for tournements... I never really understood that logic... but it's the same thing in the saltwater world with some the triple motor go fast CC's out there too... They'll run WOT from Southport to fish one little area off Charleston somewhere that's holding kings,, but they gotta beat the other 100 boats to get to that one spot.

If you got the cash to burn up in fuel.. I say go for it as long as your safe and dont infringe or endanger someone elses fishin... and the law is... YOU as the operator are responsible for YOUR wake at all times!! (that's the written law).

You'll hear them bass buggy boys fire off all kinds of drunk sailor slang at a jet skier interfering with their fishin,, but boy have someone tell them they're reckless... and they get all upset.... Unwritten law is, bass buggy owners own whatever part of the lake they're on at that given time they're on the lake.... :rolleyes:

But,, in honesty.. not all bass buggy guys are like that... just some uneducated (need to take or refresh up on a boater safety class) bad apples that dont make good decisions unfortunately...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
red nun is a channel or shoal marker. channel markers are always maked with both red and green cans..-you go between them-

i talked with several guys that fished the bfl in norman saturday they said they had several VERY close calls out there.. there was 195 boats fishing that tourny btw..

zooker

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
If I know there is a tourney other than b.a.s.s. I will not go that day. There was a catfish tourney on Mtn. Island sat. and those boys make a mean wake on take-off. Wakes don`t bother you in a kayak unless you`re not paying attention and get surprised sitting on the bank and get swamped. I don`t mind boats zippin by as long as they`re not too close. I do very much mind a jetskier who does donuts in the same spot for half an hour. WHEEE! For petes sake go somewhere else. What I mind most is anybody coming within casting range unless I know you. I would never do that to somebody else.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
* holes come in all sizes unfortunately............I even cussed out a kayaker last fall. I had lines between myself and the bank, one with a bobber and 2 without. He paddled right between me and the shore and caught one line with his paddle. I scared him real bad... I think I killed his "buzz" too if you know what I'm saying. He wasnt a fisherman by the way.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i grew up on the great lakes. where you had better know what a nun/can is. we even have bell nuns up there..they are found in the shipping channels..

dave if you ever get up to bugs. look at the lack of cans on the va side..

zooker

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Those are the ones that kill me,

Boat anchored, man facing bank, rods proped up, lines out :eek: Let me guess sunbathing, right

Always one that will fly right thru, that burns me up

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.