NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm plannin on fishin Bogue Inlet sometime soon. I've heard about people catching sharks out there. What else is around there and what type of bottom? How shallow? I've been fishin the New River and I'm getting tired of navigating the bottom. Also has anyone fished the Atlantic Intracoastal? Looks like a great spot for reds and speckeled trout. I'm just trying to find a better launch that isnt packed all the time. Any help is always appreciated.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Have you considered a kayak. Instead of looking for deeper water, look for water that you have been avoiding. Reds will feed in water so shallow that their backs are out of the water if there is not much boat traffic. Trout will get almost as shallow. Flounder like to lay where the water drains out of the grass. look for good flow and a slight drop off as it exits the grass. Reds stage in places like that on an incoming tide waiting for the water to get deep enough to get back in the grass. On the out going tide they come out of the grass as it becomes to shallow and feed at the edge especially around these drains.
That kind of fishing is fun, challenging and productive. You have no boat or trailer problems...no monthly payments...no gas....no depth finder....launch anywhere you can walk to the water and go anywhere, shallow or deep. One drawback; it's a 1 man 1 boat situation. Whoever goes with you will have to have one too. Not necessarily a family oriented way to fish; it depends on the family.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.