NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished yesterday, seems like every creek I went into in the waterway from Sea Gate to the Neuse was lined with nets. I stopped and fished all of them cause there was bait everywhere, and caught nothing but a whole bunch of bait. Do ya'll stop and fish these creeks? Or was I just wasting my time?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you look for in an area? I figured the huge numbers of peanut pogies was a good thing. I threw to where the schools were. Fished any structure that was in the creek (docks, oyster beds). Worked different water columns (17mr, top water, soft plastics) with different colors. Really interested in figuring out how to increase my catch rate from 0 to slightly more than 0.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I threw the net and got more peanut pogies in one throw than I knew what to do with. Put them under a popping cork. Leader was probably 18 inches. Threw two out behind the boat each creek I was in, and not a thing touched them. Thanks for the insight. I would love to know what to do differently for next time.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
It is said, and I believe that 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the water. Find something that stands out to you and makes you think "man, if I was a fish, that is EXACTLY where I would be". Think ambush points, clean water, moving water (very important factor when fishing the Neuse). The presence of bait is a good sign, but if that bait is swimming around casually without any worries in the world, chances are good either the fish aren't there or they aren't feeding.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
On my way back last PM I noticed a ton of netting had been strung across the back of the creek. There are about 6 different nets strung in several directions. They even look like some are blocking others for sure. They are not strung across too much of the width but I'm going to call to see if they are set properly. There are so many small drum in this area. I can't imagine these nets will miss many. Craziness IMO.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
As far as the nets go. The worst thing you can do by calling is either find out they are not legal and maybe have them removed or find out they have just as much of a right to be there as you.

The area you are talking about has never yielded enough flounder for me to justify netting, in my mind.

Stay persistent, get educated, and most importanté be reasonable.

I will be curious if you see a lot of 14" drum floating or on the bank in the near future.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
As far as the nets go. The worst thing you can do by calling is either find out they are not legal and maybe have them removed or find out they have just as much of a right to be there as you.

The area you are talking about has never yielded enough flounder for me to justify netting, in my mind.

Stay persistent, get educated, and most importanté be reasonable.

I will be curious if you see a lot of 14" drum floating or on the bank in the near future.
As I posted in another thread the Nets were all taken out by kid morning when I went out to look. I suppose they fish them sunset to sunrise.
I tried for an hour this AM to find the regulations specific to this type of Gill netting/area etc and got frustrated. I couldn't find the regulation. Maybe it's just me but the document is so difficult to navigate that I just give up. Maybe it will be easier on my laptop instead of my phone?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I could say a WHOLE LOT, but will keep my mouth shut. I will say we were blown by 4 times today in close quarters, and one circled the shoal we were fishing for trout and reds on while we were sitting on it and set. Flounder nets can not be out in the daytime btw in most areas.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Those pictures make me sick but I'm not going to go off because they are only pictures. If I were there to see this happen I'd have done a bad thing. I'm not saying the photos are bogus I'm just saying they aren't mine so I'm not going to react.
The Nets were set Sunday around 5:30 PM and taken out by 10:00 AM Monday. There were at least 7 separate nets that clogged the right rear 75% of VA Creek. I'm not familiar with Gill netting hit I've never seen nets set in such a way that they would block each other. Perhaps some fish would encounter one, bounce around it without getting caught and hit another? I didn't examine the net. I only looked at the dob on the end. They have not been back in the water since Sunday. I don't know if the Nets are allowed or not because, as mentioned, Ive not found the regulation. I'm not going to call NCDMF unless I see them again because there is nothing to report at this point other than my observation.
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.