NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That 64 bridge on Jordan does get crowded at times, but this winter it has been kind to people despite the high number of anglers. It is probably the easiest place to find; put in at the ramp near the bridge, go under the bridge and anchor on the other side, just out of the channel. Harris has had mixed reports and seemed to be better earlier; likely both will get hot again soon.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Kind of depends on which side of what town you are on and how much of a ride you consider "in the area", but Kerr is definitely a top notch fishery. If you are on the north side that helps. It is a huge lake and you don't want to just stop at the nearest ramp.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is very true! Folks that stop an fish the Nutbush area think it is a terrible crappie lake, while those that go up to Buffalo/Bluestone area think they in crappie Heaven! Learnin the progression of the bite on Kerr is essential to season long success. I crappie fish there bout every wk of the yr (except last wk!) and have the bite pretty much down pat! I have over 400 brushpiles GPSed there! Gettin to be spider riggin season now! Sure be glad for a little warm-up!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My point is that you have to be careful not to convince yourself that it is closer than it is because of the tendril that snakes down our way near the freeway. For good fishing, you still have a fair bit of driving left to do when you get to the first exit that says Kerr.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I can be to any part of Kerr in less than 1.5 hours from Cary. If I am fishing Nutbush, I go from Hibernia (1hr 20 mins), mid lake I go from Ivy Hill or Longwood (1 hr 25 min) I have used Bluestone a few times and thats about 1 hour and 35 minutes to be on the lake a few miles north of Clarksville.

I have never crappie fished at Kerr but based on what I see I agree with Fishdoctor about the best crappie fishing being far from Nutbush. I have fished the lake alot during low water and there are more brush piles than you can shake a stick at in the creeks from Eastland to Bluestone, thats where I see most of the hardcore crappie guys fishing at.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The first time I went, I went to the closest possible access in about an hour. Didn't do well. When I went back with a good recommendation it was close to 2. Still not far, but I hesitate to call that local.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been a Bass fisherman for most of my life and am really interested in learning where, how and some good all around information about crappie fishing . I am currently living in south Durham pretty close to Jordan Lake. I grew up around Falls Lake in the Northside area so I am somewhat familiar with this Lake. I have a small Pond prowler Boat with a trolling motor so I can get to some pretty shallow areas with no problem . Does anyone know or could recommend a good Crappie guide in the area that wouldn't mind someone who would ask a bunch of questions and teach about crappie fishing? I am not looking for one that just takes you out catches fish without being willing to teach about why they are using certain techniques etc .

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I am just a hit and miss crappie fisherman, but have done fairly well at Nutbush when I targeted them. Started out water skiing at Nutbush many years ago, and after a few years migrated towards fishing there. I honestly did not know what I was doing, so I could have just been lucky, and since I'd never fished the other areas mentioned, I have no idea how well those areas are myself. Now I have a better idea of where to fish.
Fishermen who do know the Kerr Lake better crappie areas, how is the crappie fishing around Bullocksville and County Line camping areas? Not familiar with areas north of these.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've crappie fished Kerr for over 40 yrs an that area is the worst area I've tried to catch crappie from. I've tried to establish patterns for that area an have not been successful. One trip you may catch several, then get skunked for the next several trips. I have over 400 brush piles marked on the lake from Eastland Creek all the way up to the rivers. Thats the area where I have consistant fishin in over the yrs. I've been guiding there for the last 8 yrs an I am a teaching guide. I show an tell how I catch them durin all the seasons. I'm set up to titeline troll, flatline troll, shoot docks, cast an vertical jig structure. I encourage clients to bring an handheld GPS an mark all the spots we fish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jordan is pretty easy this time of year for crappie, if I can catch them anyone can! Like everyone else has said the bridges are good, simple two hook rig with a weight at the bottom with some minnows. I've marked several locations all around that were holding fish, I just haven't been able to get over the spot to fish it since I don't have a trolling motor, tried drifting over but can't get the drift right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.