NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have never gone fishing to the Swansboro area but I've read many good things about the area. Can anyone recommend a good launching site close to the marsh area? I am thinking on heading out there on the weekend (Any day), if anybody wants to join let me know. I usually go fishing alone, it would be nice to meet fellow kayak fisherman.

Tight lines

Cesar

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Cesar, I really like the mainland launch at Hammocks Beach state park. It's free to launch, they have great waterway maps to check out before heading out into the marsh, plus it's a great spot to reach some good fishing spots for trout, reds and black drum. I personally like some of the deeper holes near the backside of Bear Island. (it's a twenty min paddle out that far, depending on wind and tide) Some of the creeks off 24 are good spots to check out as well in that area. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations.Whitewater I just verified and the Hammocks Beach park is scheduled to reopen in March 14, will definitely check it out after that. Hey Roostertail24 would you say that shell rock landing would be a better launching spot than cedar point? I have never been in any of the two. If so any tips on what to look for once on the marsh area at the shell rock landing?I would love to catch a couple of reds.

Thanks

Cesar

·
Registered
117 Posts
Shell rock is a great area to put in at and close to the marshes but could also be a pain depending on the boat traffic on the ICW at the time, have seen guys get flipped right on the bank for some of the bigger boats moving north or south on the ICW. Puts you right into the marshes behind Bear Island on the Browns Inlet side to the middle.

View attachment 69432

Cedar Point, not sure which ramp you are referring to, you have the first one a few hundred yards down from Dudleys which is not a bad ramp, has same issues as Shell Rock being directly on the ICW but also puts you right into the marsh areas around Bear Island but on the Bogue Inlet side.

View attachment 69433

Neither are a bad area and both will give you several miles to explore.

Ramp at the actual Cedar Point Camp grounds will actually put you into the White Oak which does have good fishing also along the banks and marshes.

View attachment 69434

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BIGE. I will read more on that Bicentennial park.

Olsaltydog, Thanks for the information. I was talking about the first two ramps. I thought the same thing about the ICW but I'll guess I'll have to take the risk. I think I'm going to launch from Shell Rock Landing. Great pictures and information!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tarpon, I've used Shell Rock a lot and havent had any problem on the ICW. For the most part you can see the boat traffic coming each way and if you see a barg or really big boat, just wait it out till they pass. Just use some good judgement. It will put you right into the marshes across from the landing. If you've been doing your homework you'll see it puts you into a maze. Becarefull to not get lost and there can be some tricky spots if you are there at lowtide. Lately between myself and friends that ave been going back there the fishing has been scarce lately. I've only seen a couple single drum in the last month or so. I tend to believe that the big schools have pushed out to the ocean for as cold as it's been, that waters a little warmer. I'm hoping once it warms up they will start pushing back to the inside. Have fun and be safe.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Thanks BIGE. I will read more on that Bicentennial park.

Olsaltydog, Thanks for the information. I was talking about the first two ramps. I thought the same thing about the ICW but I'll guess I'll have to take the risk. I think I'm going to launch from Shell Rock Landing. Great pictures and information!!
Shell Rock might be okay this early in the season with limited boat traffic but kayaking from there is hairy at best. After March 14 definitely check out Hammocks Beach State Park. It's a dry launch, specifically made for kayaks and canoes...you won't get wet putting in on those cool ramps. You do have to carry your yak a good ways from the parking area but they have a trolley you can use for free in the office there. A quick shot across the ICW and you are in very nice skinny water. There are even marked paddle trails. It's more than 25 minutes out to the back of Bear Island though. More like 45 to an hour. However there is very productive water as soon as you cross the ICW as well as the back side of Bear. Google Earth it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info theramrod and h2ohhh!!!

I will take into consideration all your recommendations. Just to be clear in order to get to the Hammocks beach state park Yak launch, I have to get there on the ferry or private boat right?

Which of the tides have you guys had better results? outgoing tide or incoming tide?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
To get to Hammocks beach itself you need a boat, kayak or to take the ferry. The kayak launch is at the Hammocks Beach Visitors center, which is also where the ferry leaves from. It's at the end of Hammocks Beach rd in Swansboro.

I cant really say what tide I've had better results on. I have done good and bad on all of them.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Access to ramp at Cedar Point Recreational Area in Croatan NF is blocked as they are renovating the campground.
Correct. It was supposed to be open by now but the winter has construction behind. Sewer line project I think.

As to tides, I don't have a preference as far as the fishing goes....except usually dead high or dead low are not good. As long as it's moving you can catch fish. As for paddling out of Hammocks Beach State Park, try and catch the outgoing tide heading out and the incoming on the way back. Get out somewhere and stretch and have a bite to eat in between. I had a canoe full of camping gear solo last year against both the wind and tide and it almost killed me. But I'm an old man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.