NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to fishing grubs like Mister Twisters in fresh water for pike and bass up north. We usually bounce them off the bottom rather than a steady real after the cast. Does this work here? How do you fish grubs or cury tails

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Many an older fellow around the Pamlico will tell you a good old Green with silver fleck or Christmas tree curly tail grub has caught Trout for decades and still does, and it's all they have on their boat ! Capt Jimmy Price also swears by them for flounder and trout. Before he was "sponsored" he would shake them at you in his seminars and tell you you don't need all that fancy gulp and blah blah, all you need is a curly tail and a jighead !

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They work just fine. I do find when the pinfish get thick they don't last but a cast or two before the tail is gone though. I bump them off the bottom and do a slow steady retrieve as well.
Zman makes a curly tail that is quite durable, even holds up to several blue fish strikes. Not exactly a grub, but similar due to the curly tail action.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many an older fellow around the Pamlico will tell you a good old Green with silver fleck or Christmas tree curly tail grub has caught Trout for decades and still does, and it's all they have on their boat ! Capt Jimmy Price also swears by them for flounder and trout. Before he was "sponsored" he would shake them at you in his seminars and tell you you don't need all that fancy gulp and blah blah, all you need is a curly tail and a jighead !
Yup, all you need is a plain jig, along with a school of fish. They know how to find these so called schools of fish because of "fisherman privelege." They were the lucky offspring of parents who borned them near fish, and taught them from an early age to find and catch fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.