NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Hatteras at the end of May. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what I might be able to catch and where to start. I have a 21 foot skiff so I would like to try fishing near shore. Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
I havent been home for a while and havent heard of any of the fishing reports. but i would figure that the specks are probably getting ready to move in. Maybe a couple flounder here and there. It should be getting pretty descent down there. Just make sure you take your boat, They are getting ready to go to court for that driving on the beach stuff. sure hope they get to keep it.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Hatteras, May, boat, what thought it was a surf fishing community:D

May is the bewitching month with spanish and blues ready to do battle right off the breakers, just watch for birds and follow them.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
That's also the time the Cobia make their annual migration through that area in packs (not really schools but close), locally known as the big "shove". So keep a bait rigged on a stout rod with a 7/0 - 9/0 hook and be ready to cast to them if you see 'em. They are very curious and often will come right up tot he boat. Just don't try to free gaff 'em or bring 'em in the boat "green" - they are one strong, mean fish!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hatteras, May, boat, what thought it was a surf fishing community:D

May is the bewitching month with spanish and blues ready to do battle right off the breakers, just watch for birds and follow them.

tight lines <*)))))>{

It is a beach fishing community. but the envirmentalist are trying to get them to stop driving on the beach. suppose to go to court sometime in april. the bad thing is if they cant drive on the beach down there, they will lose alot of money.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Live bait is good - a Cobia just about can't refuse a nice fat mullet, menhaden or even a pin fish, dead bait will work too. They also will hit bucktails, my favorite is the Snapper Slapper. I am sure there are others but those are mainly what I use.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Big slab of menhadden lace with a big circle hook and get ready to do battle royal.

let him get good and tuckered out before you hoist it aboard or it will throw all your gear out the boat for you. That means he's still green or not tired.;)

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.