NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to go fishing this weekend and it was a good time. Got about 8 keeper mullet, 2 kepper trout, sheepshead, and black sea bass. Even caught a small cobia and flounder! The water temp was in the high 50's low 60's. Did all my fishing right in the turning basin using cut shrimp as bait. Talk to some other guys who had some luck with the mullet farther out in the inlet. Guy at Freemans said middle marsh is getting hot right now with red drum as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Middle marsh, where is that at? I hit up trout creek on thursday with a buddy of mine. We didn't get anything but one lil ol blue fish. Not a single bite otherwise.

We were tossing gulp minnows and shrimp along the weed beds in the marsh. Trying to focus on places where the marsh emptied into the channel.

Anyone having any luck ???

Rye.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I had to work in Beaufort this AM. Either, I had to stop at the Food Lion or go fishing for 30 min. in one the ditches on the way home for my supper. I chose the latter-- its tough on me but it has to be done.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rye- middle marsh is in between shackleford and carrot island near the north river channel. Kinda hard to explain if your not sure of the area but look at a map of the beaufort area and you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
middle marsh

It has been explained to me by ole fishermen in the Beaufort area that the "middle Marsh" is the area along the back side of Shackleford. If you go out the east end of Taylors Creek, you are looking right at it. Whe you guys take that trip, let me know. I want to learn how to get to the Lighthouse the back way around Harker's.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't the cobia action in the turning basin pretty hot during may and june? I don't know a thing about fishing for cobia except that they can wreck your boat, but I'd like to try to catch one later this year. If anyone can give me some info on how to catch cobia it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not sure if anyone can archive it, but there was an article in NC Fish and Game last spring on Cobia and drifting/bottom fishing for them in the turnign basin and down near the turn bridge in Camp lejeune.

rye

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have any of you seen the Apr. 2006 issue of Salt Water Sportsman. In the "What's biting where" they list BEAUFORT,NC as the BEST place to catch ATLANTIC BONITO!!!!!!!!It really pleases me that little Beaufort is listed in a world wide magazine. This is what it says.
BEST: Beaufort, NC- Bonito begin to arrive in the inshore waters of North Carolina. Surf Anglers can catch these speedsters off the end of jetties, while boat fishermanwill score big with small metal lures over nearshore reefs.
Runner Up: Florida Keys
How do I catch a Bonita and are they good to eat??????

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
They are very good too eat. Funny you should ask about how to catch them, they say timeing is everything. I write a weekly fishing column that is printed in a local paper (Topsail), I also post it to my blog. This week I wrote on catching the Atlantic Bonito. I am also working on a full length feature article that I hope will be posted on NC Angler later this week or first of next week. In the meantime, check my blog:

hampsteadfishing.blogspot.com

Good Luck & tight lines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going down friday plan to fish all weekend and some if not all next week if any would like to hook up or go with let me know cell # 2524325298 call any time to fish hopefully i will have a good report to give back and a few pictures name on the boat is reel thang give a shout on the water if your out see yall then.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Russell what channel will you be on this weekend? I'm really trying to head down if time permits, probly be doing most of my fishing in the turning basin or off ar-315 to try to catch something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope to be around the turn basin this weekend also. They are calling for some stormy weather on Sat. but nice temps. I had a 19' center console last year "Sea Goat". I got another boat this year. Sea Ox walk around cuddy with 175hp so I can go farther into the ocean. I will be out there somewhere this weekend. I'm gonna try to catch some of those bonito's. Say hi. Thanks Hampsteadfishing for the blog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
plan on fishing Beaufort inlet if weather permits my croud is getting cold feet and may have to go bymyself as usual i will monitor chanel 68 and always have my cell on me pray for sun but looks like rain and noaa says gust up to 40 on sat well lets hope for the best . :eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.