NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading wvlheel's sage advice for fishing the beach, I decided to have a go!
i hit the beach around 1 with my 7med bait caster, spoons and a backpack with my salt water "stuff".
the conditions weren't great and the windd was blowing pretty good... None the less I went to work with my gold spoon tipped with a gulp, z man Curley tailed mullet or naked. Nothing hit as I made my way to the point. To be honest I didn't see any big fish in the surf... I decided to try out the fluke rig that john skinner showed me how to tie via YouTube! After a few casts I caught the biggest darn lizard fish I've ever seen! I figured I wasn't on the bottom, so I slowed down the reel and reduced the "Shake" speed. I was greeted with a good tug and a load on the line.
Pulled in a nice flounder.... Nothing super awesome about the trip as a whole, other than the rig worked, I caught fish and had a good time! And throwing the 3/4 oz into the wind with a bait caster wasn't too bad either!

Thanks wvlheel for the motivation!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with rooster... After fishing that rig It will be hard for me to throw anything else (unless fishing top water plugs).. I haven't been skunked yet from the surf or boat when using it. Nice flounder awesome work!!!

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
Right at the point were the channel is flowing on a outgoing tide popping cork with, I use gulp, but whatever your pleasure, drift it onto the channel to the flat, when it stops or goes under yank!! Caught plennnntttyyyy of flounder and drum with this method. Then came back the next day and more people were doing it lol. Good job and good luck!!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Ha ha I am just not sure how you keep that rig from tangling. Instead of using a bucktail on the skinner rig I just use a half oz jighead. Skinner himself says the fish bite the top bait most of the time. If you lose one you lose a buck instead of 4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.