NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me a few good ideas for a sit-on fishing kayak that is on the more affordable side?

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Here we go again. I've got a Perception Pescador 12. Love it. No problems. Ever. I've took it everywhere and it's took me to a lot of fish. It comes in an angler version also with more rod holders. You'll get a truckload of recommendations. What's your budget on a yak?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Whole Lotta Arm Chair Captains...just fish....don't judge.

Reactions: froggy waters

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Academy currently has a couple of low end angler SOTs at good prices. But you should provide a few details besides just not wanting to spend much. River, pond, big lake, sound ???

·
Registered
206 Posts
what is "affordable" to you? My Jackson Cuda 14 is the best fishing yak ive ever played in. It was affordable for me. One mans affordable might not be another mans.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
IMO it's best to save up and buy the one you really know you want. Be it $400 or $2000. Do some research look at the options, and find someone with a yak and demo it. Most of the stores that sell them have demo days also. I'm not sure what kind of fishing you are doing or where, but that will have a huge impact on which one is a better fit. I say stay away from the cheapos and get what you want because then you will be happier. Not saying the lower end ones won't get the job done, but you'll be much happier the other way. Good luck. You get what you pay forcc

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
This one gets beat to death; IMO it depends on the OP's preference. I bought a low end to fish nearby lakes, ponds and rivers. I even paddled it in the surf (very near shore with a skirt and lots of flotation). I am going to get (build actually) a much better yak for open water fishing. I won't get rid of the cheap one. It will make a good buddy boat and I will continue to use it in smaller water and places where it might get banged up. I only have a couple of hundred in it and could easily recoup that if I want.

But some people would rather have no boat while they save their money or go ahead and commit more money right away. That's fine; different strokes and all that.

EDIT - Just as an FYI, this is the one I am going to build:
http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/WV13_study.htm?prod=WV13

bought the plan, started pricing wood and materials. I won't save money over buying a Prowler or some other similar sized yak, but min will be lighter and faster. i also won't finish all that quickly and i will fish some in the meantime...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here we go again. I've got a Perception Pescador 12. Love it. No problems. Ever.
There are a lot of people who own an older tarpon 120 or pescador sport 12 (same boat) that are very happy with them. I've used mine on lakes, rivers, and inshore on the coast. You could pay more (and probably will at some point) but they're a good all around kayak and great for a first purchase. If you stick with it, you'll own several (I've got 4) but it's a very good first boat...

·
Red X Angler
1,137 Posts
Like SnowCamp said just above here!!! I work in JAX, FL at a 30 year old, family owned "outfitters" and the "entry product" in our kayak fishing offerings is the Perception Pescador Sport 12.....which is build in the same mold as my 2004 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120...that I bought at our store in March, 2005, and now has over 750 trips on it....Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, coastal fishing at both coasts of FLA, and rivers and lakes in GA, SC, NC, AL, and TN.....and there is not a better "entry level kayak" for $549 on the market!! Love mine and use it more than I do my Hobie Revolution 11 with Turbo Fins.....it just "fits" where and how I fish!!
JohnYaksJax

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I will say stay with the big names if you can native wilderness Jackson Hobie old town ocean. Recently I have had an issue with a smaller companies kayak warranty had expired by a year and when I contacted the owner directly the response I get was . "" what do you want me to do about it "" I have dealt with all the large names listed as a guide for one reason or another. And they have all worked through the issues in customer service.
Also comfort is what you are buying ergonomics storage seating and features .. You can drive an 80's model caprice and you can drive a 2014 Cadillac kinda how it works both will take you there but the comfortable factor truly changes that much between the models

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since you spoke of affordability, I'm not sure if you've looked at non-angler kayaks, but wanted to weigh-in on that. In some of the cheaper models it might be as little as $20 difference between one with rod holders and one without - and unless the one without has other rigging/scotty options, the rod holders (flush mount) are SO worth the difference, even at much larger multiples of that example. Basically, the pain of having rods laying in/on your kayak is deceptively annoying from experience.

That being said, I found a used model of a more expensive yak on CL after waiting patiently, but if you are looking for immediate alternatives, like its been said on other yak-buying threads, your local Dick's does have a good sale going on right now which includes at least a few cheaper options - beware of the difference between cheaper and cheapo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Pescador 12 and love it. My son picked up a yak at Dick's last Sunday. A Field & Stream Talon SOT angler with a F&S paddle. It was about 150 off regular price with a little extra discount for the floor model. He's a teacher on a budget so he was quite happy. Except for the open scupper holes. We went straight to the lake and aggravated a few fish. His butt got soaked while mine stayed dry. This morning I picked him up some of those spongy practice golf balls to make scupper plugs. He'll be dry this weekend.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Love my talon. People rag on cheap kayaks but mine has been treated like dirt and still tracks straight, sits reasonably comfy(would be better with upgraded seat) and takes me everywhere i have desired salt and fresh. No open ocean ventures yet and doubt it will happen either.

The only problems are the seat scuppers. A pool noodle fixed that. That and somehow i get a small amount of water in the hull sometimes, let me stress SMALL amount tho.

Id buy again, i own the eagle talon and the eagle run. Both have taken a beating and been used weekly.

I recently built a rack system on the rear using the scupper holes and rod holders to accomidate my fly rod and paddle for standing and sight casting without having to stoop or bend down to drop my paddle and get my rod up, usually resulting in spooked fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts