NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the city (and my life) was in lockdown I started viewing YouTube videos about fishing kayaks. People fishing or discussing their models, and showing how they “pimp” their kayaks out.
I became totally obsessed and started researching everything I could find, even though I’d never been in a kayak before. I was always around and owned boats, but never unpowered.
This obsession may die, or I may pursue it to fruition, but there are problems I need to resolve. I live in an apartment so I’ll need to find a place (garage) to keep it. Transportation? I considered car topping, but it would just be too heavy and bulky to strip down load, and unload four times a day, not to mention the damage to my car from the front and rear straps, etc. I’ll need a boat trailer of some kind.
I’ve even decided what Kayak I would buy and a lot of the accessories.
Do any forum members own fishing Kayaks or have been thinking about it? I thought it might be fun to open a thread so we could talk about it.

This is the one I have decided on if it ever becomes a reality.
7D0A93C5-76C7-4063-AA6E-91C514821352.jpeg

E3BEF8AB-2B05-4E9A-B71F-47BBC1BE3FFD.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
While the city (and my life) was in lockdown I started viewing YouTube videos about fishing kayaks. People fishing or discussing their models, and showing how they “pimp” their kayaks out.
I became totally obsessed and started researching everything I could find, even though I’d never been in a kayak before. I was always around and owned boats, but never unpowered.
This obsession may die, or I may pursue it to fruition, but there are problems I need to resolve. I live in an apartment so I’ll need to find a place (garage) to keep it. Transportation? I considered car topping, but it would just be too heavy and bulky to strip down load, and unload four times a day, not to mention the damage to my car from the front and rear straps, etc. I’ll need a boat trailer of some kind.
Do any forum members own fishing Kayaks or have been thinking about it? I thought it might be fun to open a thread so we could talk about it.
12 Best Pedal Fishing Kayaks 2022- Top Pedal Drive Kayaks Reviewed

what about you?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m on my third / fourth set of kayaks presently. I started out with a paddle kayak I bought for about $600 on Amazon, had that for a few years, upgraded to an entry level pedal kayak for around $1500 a few years later, and now I own a pair of $4000 (base price!) Old Town Autopilot kayaks that have fancy trolling motors.

My advice would be to start low (and light) and work your way up. Make sure you like the sport enough before you get heavily invested in it financially. Also, space and weight are serious considerations. My first yak weighed about 60 lbs and I could get it in J cradles on top of the car. The peddle yak weighed 85 lbs without the peddles and I ended up injuring my neck attempting to lift it over my head (and crunching a vertebra in the process). I had to re-think how to transport my kayak at that point, loading it from the rear on a pair of saddle style racks. My newest kayaks, while very capable, are huge (13.5 ft) and very heavy (125 lbs w/o motor or gear) and I have a specialized trailer for them.

Start out with a 10’-11’ kayak that you can easily load or unload yourself and paddle around for a season or two to see if it’s your thing. You can even save 25-50% on the price if you buy used on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, as there are a lot of people that buy kayaks and find out they neither have the time, nor desire, to use them as much as they thought they would.

Any more questions, just send me a DM. I also own just about any attachment you could dream of for a kayak (and have gotten rid of a lot, too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a small EV and car topping is not an issue with a Hobie Lynx. Pricey but worth it - the easier it is to load and setup the more you’ll go fishing. Kayak fishing helps you realize that you bring too much crap and helps you become an effective minimalist
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do any forum members own fishing Kayaks or tyler the creator hoodies have been thinking about it? I thought it might be fun to open a thread so we could talk about it.

Thanks for sharing your guidance. Plz share your knowledge with me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I could buy a brand new jon boat with a 9.9 hp for less than the price on some of these kayaks. Unbelievable what people are spending on a non powered vessel. Get a hitch for your car and get a 12 foot jon boat with a 9.9hp if you really love to fish and you will have a world of opportunities. The kayak is one of the worst inventions ever for public fishing imo unless you only fish small rivers/creeks or have an abundance of big ponds to fish.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Space and transport is a thing I am lacking also. I've also looked into inflatable ones for the transport solution. There's a guy on YT that does a great job with comparing and explaining different types.

Still considering options...

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are trade offs for every different option. An inflatable kayak may save you storage space, but after 1-2 trips, you might find it a giant pain to always have to pump up / deflate the kayak each trip. It will add to your prep time for sure. Another thing is comfort. I’ve been in an inflatable kayak once. You tend to sink in it. They also don’t have scuppers like a sit on top kayak does, so if you get water in it, you’ll get a soggy butt, too. Some are super cheap, others can get pretty expensive, as they have options such as adding an electric motor, too.

Whatever you choose, I highly recommend you try before you buy, either by testing out a potential purchase via a local demo day or buying pre-owned with the stipulation that you try it on the water first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pond Pounder has given you excellent advice. Like him, I am on my 5th or 6th yak having started out 20+ years ago with sit-in, then sit-on paddle in several sizes, and now a 12’ peddle yak. Half the fun is tricking them out for the way you fish—but some things are basic, like a crate, high quality rod holders, a small cooler for your drinks and snacks, and another cooler for keeping your caught fish in decent condition. Also, don’t overlook the sun protection issue—you are totally exposed to the elements in a sit on top kayak and need to protect yourself from getting scorched. Don’t let anyone try to sell you a cover shade or bimini—they act like a sail even in a light breeze and make it impossible to stay on track. If you buy a boat, whether paddle or peddle, be sure you add a rudder if it is not already included.

Your storage and transport concerns are legitimate. over the years, I did car top, and then pick-up truck with a bed extender. About the time I hit my mid-60’s I modified an old trailer with rails, one set of Thule J-racks, and one set of Malone wings. Loading/unloading has never been easier, and now that I have hit 70 I am glad I did it.

if you search ‘kayak fishing’ on this site you are going to find hundreds of posts and good advice, with many pictures of how folks have equipped their boats. Lot of great ideas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts