NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm fixing up an old house with canal access (if the water level ever comes up) to Lake Hickory - near Roadhiss dam. I saw folks fishing for stripers with planer boards and was wondering how these are rigged. How far out are the boards - how far behind is the bait - what kind of terminal rigging is used? What baits are used? I caught a nice fish by dumb luck - just trolling a shinner on top but there must be more to it than that.
Also are there maps of the lake - looks like there are some nasty rock formations close to the surface.
Thanks
Hank

·
Registered
171 Posts
The fish I caught last weekend was on a planer board with about 6 ft of line behind it. The rig was a single circle hook and bait was live shad caught at the Rhodhiss dam.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
The fish I caught last weekend was on a planer board with about 6 ft of line behind it. The rig was a single circle hook and bait was live shad caught at the Rhodhiss dam.
2 Questions Dave:
1) No weight on the shad? In that case the planar board is really just to get the bait away from the boatwash and/or allow more lines in the water behind the boat, right?

2) Are you trolling or drifting? How fast?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave
Thanks for the info. Can I ask a few more questions? First time out - I caught a nice size striper between the bridge and the dam - probably dumb luck - just dragging a shinner. The fish was pretty tired when I got him in - are they hard to release - I'm a displaced trout fisherman.
What size hook did you use? How do you catch the Shad for bait?
Hank

·
Registered
171 Posts
First Jeff's questions, 1. you are correct. I had no weight on the shad. We were fishing two free lines out the back and two planer boards off each side of the boat. The purpose of the planers is to get the bait away from the side of the boat so as to cover a larger path with the bait.
2. We were slow trolling at almost drift speed if that makes any sense lol. We use the Minn Kota set just fast enough to keep the planers out to the side of the boat and the boat pointed straight.
Now for Hank's questions; 1. It really depends on the time of year or to be more exact, the water temperature. In the summer months when the surface temperature is warm, the fish are really stressed when you get them to the boat because they prefer cooler water and therefore the mortality rate for released stripers is pretty high. In the winter or when the water is cooler, they are pretty easy to release as long as they are not seriously injured or handled too much before the release. If they are large enough, I prefer to release them into the cooler and then later release into the grease. :cool:
2. I use a Gamakatsu 1/0 Shinner hook. I'm no expert on striper fishing by any means but that hook seems to work ok for me. :)
3. I use a cast net either at the base of the power house or along the rocks just below it. (Note, it is REALLY hard to get a boat up there when the water is running and if you happen to be there when the horn blows, get away from the house FAST because you only have about 3 seconds before the water starts and I have seen boats slammed into the wall by the current. Not a pretty picture. :eek: If I'm alone, I usually tie off to the bank just downstream and throw the cast net from the rocks on river left.)
Congrats on the striper on the first time out. (note to self, next time bring shinners lol:p)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing,

Also are there maps of the lake - looks like there are some nasty rock formations close to the surface.
Thanks
Hank
There are some very nasty rock formations between the bridge and the dam. I was there last night and at one point, the water is only two feet deep with eight to ten foot holes on either side. Be very careful if motoring up there as these rocks will EAT a prop:eek:. I trimmed the outboard up as high as I could and moved very slowly until I got over those rocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lake Hickory & MUDDY WATER

Good Morning Folks

Looks like the water is back but pretty cloudy - I'm wanting to fish below the dam for stripers. Any ideas for what works in muddy water - looks like it is going to be pretty common on Lake Hickory.
Thanks

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
White or chartreuse bucktails and gold or silver spoons are pretty universal and worth a try!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go catch some shad.... go fishing... The fish should be there and if they are let us know :)
Thanks
Have been drowning some shinners but have only caught one so far - I did get some plainer boards so why not add a cast net - does anyone sell shad?? How about small largemouth 4" - the just stocked the lake on the golf course with some little ones. I'll let you know
Hank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.