NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone;
Sorry I haven't been on for awhile! I've been very busy, I belong to couple other groups. I would like to promote one of the groups that I am a member. I promoted North Carolina Angler to this group, so I think it would be only fair to promote them! The group is (TPA) TarHeel Paddlers Associtation. They paddle all lakes, rivers and even ocean. They do camping, paddle night trips, have meetings and help each other. This group don't care what kind of boat you use. Their web site is, www.tarheelpaddlers.org , the group is with yahoo. They even fish all over and do conservation with clean ups, and help with learning how to paddle Kayaks, canoes. So anyone wants to join them it is FREE to join, and no membership fees. So hope to see anyone who wants to paddle and fish at the same time.
Paddle Safe & Have a good time

Dennis RunningBear

·
Registered
46 Posts
New Pamlico-Tar Paddle Club

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the info on the tarheel paddlers. Good site and program. We're trying get a paddle club going in the Washinton-Greeville area and its a good model. We have another organization meet planned for Jan 12th 7pm at Backwater Jacks, a pub at the old Flood Zone, at the Haven's Gardens boat ramps a bit east of downtown Washington on 3rd St, if anyone is interested. More paddlers, more fishin' and more info on best Pamlico spots I hope as I'm new to the area. Happy New Year All. RickZ, Heritage Osprey SOT, nice deep & stable yak.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Rick, I work at the Greenville Great Outdoor Provision Company and there has been lot's of interest in starting a local paddling group. Stop by sometime and let's talk. Also, bring any info you may have about meetings that we can post on our customer wall. There has been a great interest in paddling from people so far. I will be there everyday this week but Tuesday and Wednesday as I am taking some guys fishing.

Dennis, I'm looking at your site now. It looks great and I'm sending you my info to join.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kayak store

Hello to all.

I am new to the area. My father in Law got me hooked on kayak fishing while I was down in Florida. My question is where can I go to look at some kayaks. New or used. I have looked at the new red Fish. I am a tall guy of 6' 4" and 250 lbs. Thanks for your help and time.

Big Osh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yak Shopping

Hi, When I was first looking I went to a big rental outfitter, bought a few hours of rental time and then spent some time in every model he had available until I found the shape, style, and features I really felt saft and comfortable in. There are so many choices in both basics and details; sit in, sit on, long (faster & better tracking) or short (good for tight spots/creeks), narrow (quicker) or wide (more stable). Lots of forums like these on the web for info too. Not sure where you are exactyly but there's a fair sized rental outfitter in Oriental I think , and the one I used was on the sound in Salter Path between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. When I was up on the Chesapeake, all the outfitters/renters/manufacturers hosted a huge paddle fest on the beach with tons of boats you could try. Not sure if any happen around eastern Carolina though. Really want to be sure you try before you buy though, and on the water conditions you expect to fish in.
I had a tough time finding a SOT boat that was stable enough for my inexperienced paddling antics let alone fishing :). Oh, rental stables often sell their older boats when they get good deals on new ones, or close up shop. That how I got my nearly new yaks and canoe at 1/2 price. Hope this is helps. I'm sure a lot more will respond. Happy hunting, RickZ the BaitWaster.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yak Shopping

Hi, When I was first looking I went to a big rental outfitter, bought a few hours of rental time and then spent some time in every model he had available until I found the shape, style, and features I really felt saft and comfortable in. There are so many choices in both basics and details; sit in, sit on, long (faster & better tracking) or short (good for tight spots/creeks), narrow (quicker) or wide (more stable). Lots of forums like these on the web for info too. Not sure where you are exactyly but there's a fair sized rental outfitter in Oriental I think , and the one I used was on the sound in Salter Path between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. When I was up on the Chesapeake, all the outfitters/renters/manufacturers hosted a huge paddle fest on the beach with tons of boats you could try. Not sure if any happen around eastern Carolina though. Really want to be sure you try before you buy though, and on the water conditions you expect to fish in.
I had a tough time finding a SOT boat that was stable enough for my inexperienced paddling antics let alone fishing :). Oh, rental stables often sell their older boats when they get good deals on new ones, or close up shop. That how I got my nearly new yaks and canoe at 1/2 price. Hope this is helps. I'm sure a lot more will respond. Happy hunting, RickZ the BaitWaster.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yak Shopping -- test-drive opportunities

BigOsh

Both of the major retailers in the Raleigh area -- REI and Provision Company -- will have demo events in April sometime. As far as I know, neither has booked a specific date. I'd recommend calling your nearest location of either chain and asking about such an event. (And when you find a date, maybe post it to the event calendar here on NCAngler!)

Once you've got an idea of which boat(s) you might like, if you're into shopping around, you can hit the manufacturers' websites and get a listing of local (and close-enough-to-local) dealers, and start letting your fingers do the walking. Or if you like the price you saw on the test drive, you can shake hands right there (or immediately afterward), I'm sure.

RickZ mentioned outfitters selling used boats to turn over their inventory -- I saw several such sales on eBay back in November and December -- I may have been behind the peak, I'm not sure. I think CoachKinsey caught his Prowler 15 on an end-of-season sale in August or September.

Good Luck
Lefty

·
Registered
46 Posts
Charleston Canoe & Kayak Festival April, Any History?

Hi, Just learned of an "East Coast" paddling fest in Charleston SC in April. Not sure if its worth the trip and the sacrifice of a weekends fishing, but maybe for beginners or those looking for new boats, with a chance to try out a lot of boats and take advantage of the seminars. May have fish around there too :). Anyone every go??? Fish there??? Here is the URL for it: http://www.ccprc.com/kayak.html
Lefty's April Raleigh area events and the Charleston one could also be good "bargaining" opportunities if you'll take the demos off their hands at the end of the event so they don't have to drag them back. Especially if they don't do rentals. No harm in asking.

The Pamlico-Tar Paddling group continues to take shape and should have some substance and trips planned in a month or two. Probably going to be modeled after the Twin Rivers Paddlers out of New Bern. Hope some were able to take advantage of the heat wave this week. Hoping for more next.
RickZ The BaitWaster

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Charleston has a reputation as one of the better redfish/red drum locations in the country. Lots of other fishing opportunities to of course. Things should be cranking up down there in April. Personally I'd rather go for the fishing as the weather down that way should be warmer and there are so many islands and rivers etc. in the area that you could kayak there for a lifetime and not get to know the whole area. Personally I don't like the city but it is ideally positioned to be a kayak fishermens mecca. Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.