NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Beaufort in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of launch points and/or areas to fish. Many years ago, I would put my power boat in at Lennoxville ramp and head over to Shackleford Banks. Not sure if that is feasible in a yak but I do seem to remember some grass islands which might hold some fish.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You can fish carrot island, middle marsh, or the north river marshes pretty easy from a yak from Beaufort. There are a lot of other places to in the area as long as you are not limited to only launching from Beaufort.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Haystacks. No boats of any size in there. Perfect for yakking.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You can put in at taylors creek on lennoxville road and fish the marsh on the other side of carrot island. On a weekend there will be a lot more boat traffic to go through to get to the haystacks I believe. I have never fished the haystacks but I know traffic can be busy around the port area. You could also put in at radio island and fish the bridge and train trestle nearby for sheepshead.

·
Registered
315 Posts
O yea. I'm just going out for the fun of it. Any advice for me, baits wise? I'm new to the inshore game. Been fishing offshore all my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Popping cork with DOA shrimp, Topwater lures, gold spoons, 3/4 inch paddle tails on a 1/8 ounce jighead for lures or live finger mullet/mud minnows for bait. Better yet, swing into Chasin Tails on Atlantic Beach and ask them for advice. They'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Be aware that if you launch from the RI ramp there is a lot of traffic on the weekends, and not all of them are courteous. Also, crossing the channel into the stacks you can encounter some large craft which have little way of being yak friendly. It's very doable but you do need to stay alert. Make yourself as visible as possible and never assume the other guy sees you(or cares).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts