NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a student at App and im unsure about river/stream fishing. Im used to fishing lakes. Does anyone know any productive places to fish in the boone area? if so where can they be accessed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for river/stream information or lake/pond information. So i'll give both.

Ponds/ Lakes.

Trout Lake and Bass Lake- Trout lake is off of winkler's creek road close to the parkway. tough bank fishing due to trees/steep banks, great for a canoe/kayak. Largemouth,bream,trout

Bass Lake is off of 221 just outside of Blowing Rock (about 1-1.5 miles from trout lake) Great bank fishing access, lot of small largemouth and plenty of bream. This gets a lot of fishing pressure. I've seen a nice 4-5 pounder in the lake but mostly all small fish (colder water might hinder their growth, just a theory)

Price Lake - on the parkway, I've never fished it, they stock it for trout, I'm sure it has bream and bass as well, heavy heavy fishing pressure.

Other lakes....Watuaga Lake (Tenn. ~hour drive from boone) and Lake James in Morganton.

Rivers/Streams.

First the two obvious...

Watauga River - good access on hwy 105 near ham shoppe in valle crucis, valle crucis park, behind appalachian angler (on hwy 105) and behind church on shulls mill rd. Stocked with trout, great time fishing b/t march and june 1st b/c it is delayed harvet (catch and release only) After June 1st (or 1st sat. in June) it gets fished very heavily. Still fun though, mostly trout, rock bass (redeye) and suckers mixed in, maybe a bream or two, and perhaps a smallie, but I don't recall catching any.

New River-- I'd go north of Todd, or even north of Jefferson. Great smallmouth fishery.

Wilson Creek area (wild trout waters) Wilson Creek, Upper Creek, Harper Creeks, etc. most beautiful place to fish on the east coast.

Elk River (behind Lees McRae college in Banner Elk, also a pond there. Great catch and release trout stretch.

That's enough. But seriously, I was a pond/lake fisherman before going to school up there, do yourself a favor and get into fly fishing. At first it will take some patience and frustration, but you can't beat a wild trout rising on a fly.

-Dave

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Man, I trout fish a couple times a year. I`m barely good enough to bream fish with my fly rod. I know a spot or two.
I`M ONLY POSTING TO SAY KUDOS TO GREENDAVE41.
That`s an awesome response and that`s why so many sportsmen like NCangler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing, are those rivers open to walking the bank and wading or are they private or anything. Just want to make sure they are before tromping down some place im not suppose to be

·
Registered
57 Posts
Of the rivers/streams I mentioned....

Wilson creek area...this is all pisgah national forest and open to fishing...

Watauga River...

anything from shulls mill rd downstream to the 105 bridge by ham shoppe is open to bank/wading. and then anywhere further downstream along valle crucis community park (behind mast) is fair game. I also heard rumor that ASU purchased land immediately across from camp broadstone and if you're a student you might have access to that.

New River...fun to float in a canoe. Many access points, go to the State Park hwy 221 access and there's some decent holes around there.

Elk River...just the small stretch behind Lees McRae is open to fishing, further downstream is within Elk River Country Club.

also..I hear North Toe and South Toe are good fisheries for both trout and smallies. North Toe is probably more condusive to smallies and south toe more condusive to trout.

good luck! post reports!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Watauga, Elk, and New all have good size smallmouth in them.

Lots of native and single hook creeks feeding these rivers. Invest in a NC trout stream map. You are in one good location there to do some peaceful walking and unmolested fishing.

One more. The Catawba River(out of Lake James spillway down)-NC done a brown trout stocking project there. Specially regulated.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I can attest to the north toe being good. With a NC trout stream map and atlas (gazeteer) you`re ready to find some spots. Mine is pretty dog eared with notes on alot of pages. Stays in the truck at all times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.