NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any help on where is a good area to fish at Onslow Beach. Unfortunaetly I am stuck to the shore or as far as I dare walk out as I have no boat. I will be staying there for May 22-25 and am looking for a good place to try my luck. I am hoping to caught some red drum or trout or anything else that will bite. I have had some luck with the spanish right by the bridge but I am hoping to caught my first drum or speck. I noticed that the pier is closed due to damage from the last hurricane. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I plan to do a little surf fishing as well as fishing the waterway. Thanks for your guys help.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Head down to the end of the beach where the inlet is.. some great fishing down that way. I heard this mornign that there were bonita and blues running well in the beaufort inlet North of Onslow.. if they are there, then they are in the New River Inlet too.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
By the time you get there you should have a shot at some decent sized flounder and the sheephead should be in residence around pilings and jetties and such. The spanish should be pretty consistent by then also. IF you don't have any luck at the inlet... try the breaks in the sand bars that form underwater and parallel to the beach. They are natural "highways" for fish moving into the first gut (or trough) between the first sandbar and the beach. The best way to find them is to go down the beach at low tide and watch the waves as they cross the first sandbar. The waves will peak and break as the come across the shallower bar but where it crosses a break in the bar the waves will less steep and less likely to break. The deeper the "gut" and the "breaks in the bars".. the better... normally. AL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I haven't been since the end of last month but according to the oc pier report there have been some schools of menhaden (but probably to far out for what you want.) Most of what is there when the spanish first show up are small anchovies so you would need a 1/4" mesh for them. Shortly after the spanish show up there is an abundance of bait moving in though so you probably should take it and see. I have a yozuri bonito with your name on it. PM me an address where you want it shipped and it is yours. I think you have more than earned it. AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Dave - bait is here. Anchovies and Pogies are small though. Finger mullet are in the ICW creeks but you have to look for them. If you are heading out of Masoboro - might be worth a slow troll out of the inlet pulling for some of those little snapper blues that are choking up the jetty these days and use them for bait offshore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.