NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today started VERY early. Met Wellcraft Dave and a couple of his buddies at WB ramp at 4:30 - yes that would be of the AM variety. We headed out in high hopes the weather man was wrong and the wind and seas would lay down.... Wetherman got it right this time - had 5 foot seas with waves 4-5 seconds apart with some 6 and 7 footers thrown in for good measure. Then the wind shifted and picked up - putting lots of white caps on the waves and making it like a big washing machine. After running out 15 miles and trolling for over an hour, we said enough is enough and came in and had a nice breakfast.

Hey Lefty - no sticks today but we did catch some nice grass/weeds.

Thanks Dave for the ride and for the retrieve of my hat!

Went back out mid-afternoon with my wife and fished in the sound. I got into a load of puppy drum - all in the 24-26 inch range and all caught in a 30 minute period one hour before low tide. I was using 4" Gulp! jerk baits on 1/4 ounce red jig heads.
Below is a picture of the one we kept.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike and Dave---Now , if I had been on board seas would have got to at least 10 to 12ft. I was hoping the boat would get loaded down with fish -- Thats fishing.

Mike--Glad you didn't lose that jungle hat. Looks like you are Gulping the drum-- Way to go.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That looks like a FLW redfish to me. I bet Lucy was having a big time with those pups thrashing around. That almost looks like a pin cushion fish! At least he was at one time.:D Just guessing....Tide being out it is hard to say. AL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welp, Mike put it pretty nicely :)

My report is like a comedic series of errors.....

Met up with Mike at the Wrightsville ramp right on time, got situated and loaded up and ready to go. I had previously check'd everything over one time then powered everything down to wait for the guys to show up. My bud Scott wasnt there yet and Mike was down talking with a SKA crew fishin the Southport tourny while launching their boat.

Well decided it was time to get the boat in the water as the sun was coming up, so went to power all the electronics back on and the GPS came up with a System Error and locked up. NO main GPS/Charting... so.. I was like... ok, that's a first.. so I pulled out the back up GPS and no problems. We got navigation.

Back'd the boat in at the ramp (extreme low tide that morning) and went to gently power the boat off the trailer then vrrrrp... stop. Motor prop struck something right at the end of the ramp, my guess from the scrapes on the prop were problaby rocks or oysters or somethin.. no major damage,, prop wasnt bent or out of balance and the skeg was scraped up a bit and the leading edges all ok, but I've been out that same launch at low tide and have never had an issue tryin to get out much less hit anything! ha ha ha ha... see how this is goin!!?? :)

Waited for my bud Scott who didnt show.. (probably a good thing on his part), then decided let's go ahead without him as we waited for over an hour. And since we kinda knew the weather wasnt gonna be in our favor, we just slow rolled it down the ICW towards the inlet.

Got to the inlet and it wasnt that bad, but you could tell the current was movin pretty good. No glitches gettin out and was definatley rolly to the last bouy, then we plotted a course towards the south.. but it wasnt happenin... just too much in our face both wind and waves.. so we replotted towards WR4 area. Plan was to stop short and troll the area from 386 towards the WR area.

Then the roller coaster ride started... man it was stacked up one after the others, no backs to the waves and wind blew any kind of spray back onto us. Goin out wasnt too bad (compared to comin back in), we'd found a couple troughs and could actuall run up to 24 mph and not bang or slam (think we only bang'd/slammed 2 x's the whole day off a couple rogues), but seas were solid 5's with the occasional rogue 7 ft'er thrown in there for good measure. I dont feel I put the crew in any danger boat handled great, it was manageble, but if a thunder boomer would've come in... then it woulda got hairy at that point.

The way back was simply misreable... we did manage to troll for a bit and actually had 6 lines out at one time. Did find some weeds in the 12 mile area... but even if we hooked a fish you'd a fought standing in the boat more than the fish. Only chalked up one moment of inspiration when we had line peel out only to see we fouled in some grass. Boss man did the power chum 4 x's and when I saw the waves were gettin more wind blown and white capped and a tad taller than the Ttop.... it was time to call it a day. Took a vote and everyone agreed it'd be best to save it for a better weather trip.

Everyone was happy to be back in the inlet, we were all soaking wet, so pulled the boat out and we all did a short clean up with the boats fresh water shower, iced back up all the bait and headed off to goof off a bit at Tex's tackle, then over to have a good breakfast at the Cracker Barrel before headin back home.

Was great to finally meet Mike, great guy and we had alot of fun hangin out... He did a great job hangin in there with us headin out into nasty stuff like that... so he get's a thumbs up on the bravery scale! ha ha ha ha :)
If anything, we got to meet, he got to see my rig and how I got her set up,, got to check out how I use my gear and some of the gear I got. I know we fish alot differently than each other and we surely talked about him showing me some inshore stuff, so I'm definately game for that one day.

As it goes in fishin,,, some days just werent meant to be and yesterday was one of them, but I give the crew credit, they did great for bein in miserable conditions. Next time I'm leavin Brooks back at the house if there's any question about questionable weather!!! ha ha ha ha.... It always seems when you take one certain guy, you can always be sure the weather will be the worst you've ever been in! Ha ha ha!! :)

But Mike, great to meet ya, had a good time spite the weather/ride, enjoyed you showing us the local tackle mart and had a great breakfast as well. We got to BSn' on the way out of the parkin lot,, so that's why you saw me probably miss the right turn on the way out!! ha ha hah a....

I'll give ya a holler on the next time I got a slot and we'll make it a good weather trip for sure. You know me... I'm loaded for bear when I go out, so I'll get ya on a worth while trip out, thanx for hangin in there with us.

Only burned a total of 29.9 gallons fuel, half gallon oil and went roughly 40 miles round trip, we stopped short of the 386 area via the GPS and that bouy we passed was AR 376 (the one with the rubbed off markings)

Sorry guys, no pictures (only because of how wet the conditions were), I would've loved to have gotten some bow/stern shots of the seas we were in,, but I played it safe and kept the camera packed up to keep it from gettin ruined. And sorry no big whoppin fish stories or pix either...... maybe next time. (I think I'm payin for it now for all that good weather we enjoyed down in Fla!!.. ha ha a) :)

Ps. Only one 26 lb king won for that tourny Mike, said out of 100 somethin boats, only 36 fished. Everyone was like us... beat up and battered. Whatever team didnt hook any fish... so it was a bust for them. They were just South/South west of us by 15 miles

And Mike, the Chartplotter is back in operation!!! so that's GOOD news!!
I had to do a hardware reset... so bad news for me is,, I gotta go back and load all my #'s manually as I lost them
all doing the reset.. so in a way, it was somethin simple (software fluke). All connections were solid, and we poured over everything today so nothings chaffed, worn, loose, ect... and after checking with Raymarine, it was a simple hang up of the software... and they stopped short of saying I might of pushed another button when restarting the unit causing the glitch... ha ha ha ha... either way... I'm back to normal operation so it's a good thing I dont have to pull the unit and send it back under warranty... I just have to sit down now and pop back in close to 500 somethin GPS #'s manually!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave - Glad you got the chartplotter working! Too bad you can't load them back in from the computer.

You handled the boat great Dave! She was a dream even in 5-7 foot seas. I bet she is a beauty to fish in decent weather and hope to have the opportunity to go with you again.

I do a lot of trolling too but with a 19' boat - it's mostly inside of 20 miles and with medium or light trolling tackle. I look forward to some of the big stuff. You are definetly "loaded for bear"!

I look forward to some inshore fishing with you this fall. I might even show you one or two of my trout holes.....:D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm sure I'll get you out again before the end of the season this year.

Man, sure coulda used the trout hole spot yesterday!! :) he he h eh...

Yeah, we all do our own thing a little different be it trollin/set up wise
And just for the record, here's one of our high speed caught kings like we were talkin about, here's a pic of Brad with his first king:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
yeah, I dont feel so bad after knowin what the tourny folks have tied up in money on those things. I'm just out fuel and luck, alot of them are out entry fees and ect...

Todd said they almost called the tourny, but for some reason they were a go

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave - talked to some buddies that fished yesterday - sounds like we missed it by a day :mad: The wind laid down by mid-morning Sunday (and wasn't that bad even earlier in the morning) and the bite was on. Quite a few fish were caught at WR4 & the Schoolhouse. Bite was good at the tower too.

Oh well.... as they say "there is always next time".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.