NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've a few days off next week (March 21st) and thought about heading down to Oriental for a couple days. The weather is supposed to warm to the mid to high 60's! Any thoughts on what might be worth wetting a line for in the Neuse or the Pamlico Sound? Anyone else going to be down that way? :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that! It is all those reasons not to go fishing that get me....house needs painting, yard needs work, cars need maintenance....on and on. Some day I'll retire to my boat. :)

BTW welcome to the site! I'm glad you found us and thanks for jumping in with some posts. We've been online less than 90 days and have almost 90 members but folks are a little slow in adding posts so far. I'm sure it will pick up once the fish start biting!

Crazy Horse said:
There is always a reason to wet a line......something should be around in that area with the warm temperatures.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey capt. Gary. What are the specks and puppy drum hitting? Any tips on where to look or favorable conditions?

captgary said:
specks and puppy drum are biting.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
230 Posts
The wife and I are talking about taking a charter somewhere in North Carolina.

Like to get some info on some charters , where, when, prices ect.
I've been on a few out of FLa. but would like to go somewhere off the coast of Carolina. Any info would be appreciated
Hookeye:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I run a shallow water guide service...simular to what you may have done in Fla. I fish much og the year out of a 17 ft flats boat for redfish, seatrout, flounder, striped bass and so on. I also run a larger boat for tarpon, drum, and false albacore. My shallow water trips are designed for 2 people, I have all the bait, tackle, ice, bottled water. I offer full day (8 hour) and 1/2 day ( 4 hour) trips. Full day fees are $400 and 1/2's are $250. Currently we are catching specks and reds and are fishing is improving every day and will contimnue to be good into the winter. I primarily fish out of the village of Oriental...a wonderful water front town on the Neuse River. Let me know when your thinking of booking a trip and I can give you more detail on the fishing.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks CaptGary,

As Soon as my wife gets done playin with her hair,I'll find out some more info myself:)
Specks is something to ponder on! I've seen alot of TV programs on catchin them and it sure looks like a lot of fun!
Get back with ya when the hair is all taken care of.:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fishing has been tuff this week with all the West wind...keeps pushing the water out and moving the fish. If we can get the wind to settle a bit things should pick back up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
all the creeks I fish are really low due ot the wind. But we still managed a nice bag of cats last night on worms

rye

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's been tuff with the west wind. Up on the Roanoke today. Striper fishing is good. Still have opennings here on May 3, 15 and 16.
Capy Gary

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have inherited some land at the Muddy Gut of Dawson Creek and am wondering if the fishing is good in Dawson. I assume (and we all know what that can do) that there are flounder in the creek but I have no idea what else may lurk there. What can I expect?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Its a tributary to the Neuse and you can catch speckled seatrout and puppy drum, a few largemouth bass and a rare striped bass.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
341 Posts
captgary said:
Its a tributary to the Neuse and you can catch speckled seatrout and puppy drum, a few largemouth bass and a rare striped bass.
Capt Gary
Are there any places on the creek that are more productive than others and is it true that the occasional tarpon can be had in Dawsons? What about flounder?

I'm headed that way the last weekend in May to get out on my kayak and see if I can extract some supper!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts