NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, a day of fishing in the middle of winter with snow coming down. I went to the Deep River near my home in Coleridge today. It was a beautiful site and the spectacle of God’s creation was made even more astonishing by his gift of snowflakes falling . I waded the portion of the river just below the dam, with no particular fish species in mind. As I waded in knee deep water I could not help but to gaze upon the surrounding trees and undergrowth, already covered in a mantle of fresh snow. I watched as native birds flitted about and stopped for a few moments to allow a Canadian goose to provide me with a demonstration of its graceful flight abilities,
“I was fishing wasn’t I?” ran through my mind like a question of necessity.
“Yes, I was fishing!” but at the same time I was allowing myself to be part of the scene not just a player in it.
I think all too often, we as sportsmen allow the reason we are at a particular place become the dominant focus and that which provides us with our bounty is all too often overlooked.
Needless to say, I came home with an empty stringer but with something much more lasting and fulfilling.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Great post! I love to just relax and enjoy the moment when I'm on the water!!! I think thats why I'm not much of a "run n gun" fisherman... I'm not there just for the fish, but for the experience....

·
Registered
512 Posts
A deer swimming across the lake. Bald eagles flying. A flock of birds skimming across the water, hearing the "whoosh" of their wings. These memories and many more keep me going back. Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.