NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am 80 yrs old and have fished most of my life. Most recently fished the ponds around Lexington, NC. I fish for blue gills from the bank and there seems to be lots of them; 99.99% are too dang small mess with.

Here is what I am writing about. It has been about 5 yrs since I fished Jennette's Pier and the last 3 yrs I fished it (in Octorber), I did not catch enough to mess up the frying pan.

My question is: Is anyone catching (spots, crocher, whiting etc) off the piers. If so what time of the year and which piers.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
183 Posts
@huffman - Sorry, I'd chime in if I had anything to offer. I haven't fished Jennette's in years. If you're interested in fish you might go down to the little bridge between Pirate's Cove and Whalebone junction and fish the catwalk there. Early morning the specks may be biting (kind of iffy with water as warm as it is right now). There's a nice parking lot with facilities and the bridge catwalk is wide enough to manage for even us older fisherfolk. If you fish the east end of the bridge you should be able to scare up a red or flounder. The only issue with this you need to get out there early (around 04-0500 hrs is good) and if fishing is good be prepared to deal with a lot of others with the same idea. If you do go, look up Butch, Ted Midyette and Johnny Asal and tell them Bruce sent you. If there's fish there those guys can tell you what's biting and what kind of lures to fish. Wish I could help more but I sold my place in KDH so I'm not there anymore and I don't have the latest intel on what the bite looks like.

Tight lines,
Bruce Pittman

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
183 Posts
Talked with Ted yesterday evening. He tells me there is no bite currently. Said he's only caught four fish in the past four days. This being said, the little bridge is probably still the best bet. You might also try to catwalk under the high rise there by Pirates Cove. If you're driving toward Manteo turn left at the light at Pirates Cove; follow the road down to the ramp and take the catwalk all the way to the end. You're about 40 yards from the channel at that point and if you can get the distance to be past the pilings, there's deeper water and maybe a chance for a bite there. Not sure what else to tell you...specks may be in the surf along with an occasional red and flounder. Check the regs for limits and slots.

Tight lines,
Bruce

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not OBX but the whiting bite was on fire at seaview pier on topsail from the reports I saw this spring, mid march to mid april. Probably the other piers as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cbruce41, I have fished the "little bridge" many times and have never caught anything worthwhile. I have seen fish caught, but I have not caught any there. Ted's story sounds about like mine. A fish a day was how it went with me too.

reeldude, I have never been to Topsail, but thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
183 Posts
@huffman - that bridge is best fished from mid-March through late April (before the water warms up too much). I've personally pulled in many 20" + specks and upper slot reds from it and at the right time if the bite is good, everyone catches fish. After about mid-May, it's not very productive except for the early hours (0300-0600 hrs) but there's been many nice specks pulled in from that bridge. Just my personal experience but at the right time of year, it's worth a visit. Good luck fishing...

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts