NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I bought a long nosed pair at the flea market in Raleigh that said stainless for $6 about 7 yrs ago, they still work. I bought a pair from Rapala that said stainless for $20 4 yrs ago and they are corroded and need some persuasion to get working when they set for very long.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
I'm really rough on pliers but I just found my Calcutta pliers I bought in VA when I was around 15 years old, I am now 28. The only problem with them are 1. Small spots of rust on head. 2. Rubber handles coming off (some superglue would possibly fix). I'll even upload you a pic of them when I get home, I bought a new pair because I lost them and now these are in the tool chest as a backup.

http://www.calcuttafishingstore.com...-inch-ultra-grip-long-nose-pliers-c6crlnp.htm

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Naval Jelly?
You can buy it at Lowes, Home Depot or any good hardware store-- usually in the paint section. It's an acid paste that dissolves rust. Like Gremlin says, it can work wonders on pliers & other gear, but expect it to discolor the metal a bit. Unfortunately they took the heavy duty stuff off the market a few years ago. Wear eye protection. Gloves probably a good idea too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You can buy it at Lowes, Home Depot or any good hardware store-- usually in the paint section. It's an acid paste that dissolves rust. Like Gremlin says, it can work wonders on pliers & other gear, but expect it to discolor the metal a bit. Unfortunately they took the heavy duty stuff off the market a few years ago. Wear eye protection. Gloves probably a good idea too.
Yeah, that's the stuff. Works great but will eat some finishes. Never seen it sold as royal jelly. I thought that was something bees made.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Try fluid film for rusted stuff. It's also good as a protective spray. I used spray my entire waverunner engine down with it.
Lowe's is supposed to carry it now. Used to mainly be carried by John deere dealers.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Transmission fluid mixed 50/50 with acetone is one of the best penetrating oils there is. I use that a lot for rusty bolts, sticky hinges, pliers etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.