NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here mount those PVC pipes on the front of your vehicle for transportation of fishing rods? Will the rods stay in place cruising down the highway at 65 mph? It's an easy way to store em for travel it seems, but I don't want em flying out on the highway, the wife won't be happy about dropping more cash if I lose em...I'm sure some of y'all know what that is like.
-Steve

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know somebody who does have that kind of setup. I don't even think he ties his rods down, and they stay put. It would have to be a BIG bump to lose a heavier rod n reel. Just don't go through a drive through!

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
My father in law had a 2x6 with pvc pipe attached to and then attached to the front bumper and it worked then he made me one as well. Now I have the aluminum kind attached to my front bumper... The old ones worked fine 60mph on the road and drivin on the beach aint exactly smooth, I've never had one fall out..

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Accident waiting to happen. I agree with ICM. My buddy Big Dave uses the large pvc plumbing tube with the end cap on the top of his truck very securely fastened to the roof rack. Rods up to 8 feet fit comfortably inside of it with the reels taken off. I have the aluminum cooler/rod rack that mounts to the trailer hitch of my Tahoe but the rods only go in there when on the beach.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
They generally stay in fine, but bug guts and road grime are not the best things in the world for fishing reels. Then there are those worst case scenarios involving parking garages, flocks of low flying birds, idiots in parking lots, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info guys, I appreciate it. Heaven forbid I look like a dingbatter, noob or dit-dot;). Like all are saying, I always see them around town and on the beach but never on the highway. I have a '91 toyota pickup with a small bed, and usually load it down with a weekend's worth of camping stuff so I always have to make sure to protect my rods/reels, packing around them is kind of a pain but hey, rods/reels are the most precious cargo on those trips.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I would think you would be fine driving around town with shorter rods like less than 7 ft as they wont stick up high enough to hit power lines or anything. Get into 10-12 ft surf rods and that might be a different story. This spring at a boat ramp I frequent there were 2 broke off crappie poles hanging up in a tree, apparently someone had them in rod holders in a boat and they got hung as they drove under the tree.

·
Registered
875 Posts
See that with boats quite a bit. I would be safe and store them inside vehicle till I get there. Never know when nature may call, and you come back to find all your high dollar outfits are now riding on someone elses vehicle! Ounce of prevention, you know.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If I'm going to the coast for any length of time, I'll carry 8-10 rod and reels. Rods go in a rod tube. Reels go in Tupperware containers. Bulk or overstock tackle, reel repair parts, grease, oil, rags, weights, etc go in my "tackle store" which remains in the vehicle. A big plastic tote bin.

Takes just a few minutes to assemble rod and reels when you get there.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
See that with boats quite a bit. I would be safe and store them inside vehicle till I get there. Never know when nature may call, and you come back to find all your high dollar outfits are now riding on someone elses vehicle! Ounce of prevention, you know.

Trust no one.
I do not leave unattended fishing gear. Easy to steal, easy to sell.
A tweeker will sell a 300 dollar outfit for a 20 dollar hit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would think you would be fine driving around town with shorter rods like less than 7 ft as they wont stick up high enough to hit power lines or anything. Get into 10-12 ft surf rods and that might be a different story. This spring at a boat ramp I frequent there were 2 broke off crappie poles hanging up in a tree, apparently someone had them in rod holders in a boat and they got hung as they drove under the tree.
I broke my favorite St. Croix the same way a month or so ago. Had it in one of the rocket launchers on my t-top and was backing to the ramp, it got caught in a branch and snapped the handle right at the edge of the holder. Hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Still pondering "dit dot"....but think I have figured out "tweeker." My vocabulary has been expanded.
Some interesting phrases come up when people are keeping their insults clean. Wrestlers are hilarious some times - "when I get through with you, you'll think castor oil tastes like orange juice!". Huh??? :)

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Gentlemen, these phrases have nothing to do with 'keeping it clean' or made up vocabulary. There is a dialect spoken in certain areas of the Outer Banks such as Ocracoke, Cedar Island, Harkers etc. that dates back to Welsh roots. Listen and learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi9wYsR5fo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts