NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to trout fishing. Went to Pungo yesterday. Caught a couple of keepers. Using mr17. Thats the report. Nothing spectacular...but hey I got a couple on my first trip. My question is this what kind of rod do you guys use when throwing the mr17. And what lb test are you guys throwing. While I could feel the bite well I could not feel the bait or keep in touch with it as much as I would like. What can you guys tell me

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Rod manufacturers vary a great deal. Some Medium actions are equal to Medium Heavy and visa versa.

If you can find a 6'6" Medium action Shimano Convergence, that's what 80% of my trout have been caught with. It is a little stiff but it works for me.

It will give you a base line to compare other rods.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ml fast tip rod in the 6'6 to 7' range with a 2000-2500 series reel 10 lb braid and a 12 lb floro leader. The reel matters. You get up there in size it changes the retrieve and sometimes you may be retrieving too fast and think your not. Like stated above keeping slack out and being in touch with your bait is 90% of it

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ditto what Trigger said. I also like a slower speed reel for winter trout as I have a habit of impatient retrieve. So it automatically slows me down even more. My $35 Kunnan rod feels good, my $200 Carolina Customs (by our very own Brett Hinson) rod feels better but both give me a good feel with old power pro (not the super slick) braid. My custom rod has a split butt so I can touch the rod blank itself and feel every little thump and lose no touch through the grips.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use a light action 6'6" rod with 6 lb test mono line. Forces you to play the fish and not horse them. Rarely lose a hookup, plus the fight is a blast!
If I got to fish more often I would go lighter for sport but I don't, so I want the odds reasonably in my favor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
7-7'6" ML fast tip rod, rated for 10-20# braid. Money not being an issue when I purchased them, I still use:

1. G Loomis Greenwater GLX 7'6", paired with a Shimano Stella 4000FE with 20# Samurai braid and a 20# flouro leader
2. G Loomis NRX Inshore 7'4" medium/light, paired with a Shimano Stella 3000FE with 20# Samurai braid and 20# flouro leader

Both rods are super sensitive, work equally well from a boat/kayak/paddleboard/shorecasting, and will last for years and years with proper care.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like a couple different reels for specks and reds. Shimano Stradics, Shimano Stradics, Shimano Stradics, Shimano Stradics and Shimano Stradic CI4'S...LOL 20 lb Power Pro original braid. 7'-7'6" medium to medium light fast tip rods. Shimano, TFO, St. Croix are a few good ones but there are many out there. Pick the ones that feel the best to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.