NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well mother nature teased us with a great start to the day on Saturday, the first calm ocean SATURDAY in quite a while. Unfortuntely it didn't last past mid-morning. It never got what I would call sporty, just a little sloppy when the winds shifted to come from the east and increased to about 12-13 knots. Increased & shifted swells made the ride back in wet and bumpy.

But enough about the weather - how bout them fish. There were a lot of nice King Mackerel's caught yeaterday, some up to 35 pounds. Most of the big ones I saw or heard about were from near the beach although I saw some nice 18-25 pounders caught in the 12-20 mile range. Unfortunetly I didn't catch a king yesterday. I had one knockdown and a couple of fish sky near our spread but not even one hook-up of a king. I did however catch a very nice Spanish mackerel (on my king gear). He was just under citation size which is 6 pounds.

Overall a nice day to be fishing.

Notice I'm wearing my NCAngler Tee-shirt!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
As much as I like grilled spanish I can't help but think what a bait that would make for pulling out at Big Rock. New moon is wed. and the full 2wks. later. Maybe Dave will have his new boat and some 80w's by then. :D AL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well dang Mike.........No wonder you didn't need any of my Spanish, LOL Good fish there bud.

I grilled some this evening with a sprinkle of Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, and Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD!!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mike, When are you gonna post a pic of them spanish jigs you've been making. I think you' sand baggin' on us. I'll post some pics tomorrow but I'll be lookin for your's ...I want to see what them sailfish are eating.... AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually what I gave Mark is a called a Maria Lure. Its store bought but not that many places carry it. I use them on Bonito, in fact is my favorite for them. While targeting Bonito, I discovered that the Spanish love em too. I think it looks like a glass minnow to the Spanish. They are great for sight casting and jigging top half of the water column. They don't sink fast enough for jigging the bottom half of the water column. I use the 14 and 21 gram sizes.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I thought you might have already started to making jigs. Just got my new molds in for a heavier version of a spanish spoon. They should weigh in at 1 1/3 oz and 2oz. pics of them are fuzzy but they are in my gallery along with more jig pics. Once I get some powder coating equip built and get going with it I think I'll have a winner. time will tell... AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I don't make too many lures at this point. Tie a few bucktails and pour some jigs is about it for now. Besides making rigs of course - I make all my king mackerel and mahi rigs.

Would love to try one of those spoons out when you get them done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.