NC Angler Forums banner

Fishing Rod Rack?

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  basilwilliam 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good source for a fishing rod rack? I have about a dozen offshore and spinning outfits that I'd like to have a rack to store them in. Any links would be most appreciated. :)

#2 ·
I don't think what I've got is what you're looking for, but it might give someone else an idea.

My garage has exposed timbers on the outside walls. So when I decided to store my two light spinning rods for the season, I attached a couple of 1x2's to the inside faces of a pair of studs, to make a pair of arms. The rods rest across the two arms with the reels hanging between them. There's enough room between the arms to stagger reels ahead and behind each other. (If you need more room, use outer faces of the studs.) In my case, each arm is about 10", and I cut them at a 22.5 degree angle using my cheap plastic miter box. I figure the fairly steep angle helps keep them from dancing off the end when the garage door opens.

Total cost - I came out ahead by removing clutter both from the fishin' corner and from the scrap-wood bucket.

(Of course, now that I've put the rods away "for the season", I'm trying to get back to the coast again. Season? What season?)

Hope it helps somebody
Lefty

PS - Nov 11, I attached some pics. Sorry if they come out fuzzy -- the only digital camera I've got is built into a phone. It's a much better phone than it is a camera, but in cases like this, it beats waiting to fill up that next roll.

Attachments

#4 ·
I just received a flyer from West Marine this week with those stand alone wooden floor racks for $79.00 - half the normal price

Rod Holders at West Marine

I use the Du-Bro-Trac holders mounted on the wall of my garage. They can be used in a vertical or horizontal direction. I like them because the spacing between the rods is adjustable depending on the size of the reel and they are easy to mount about anywhere. Also you can add extra holders tot the stip if you have a bunch of smaller reels. Here's a link from boaters world for them.

Rod Holder at Boaters World

#5 ·
I have purchased the Okuma rod racks and they work great. They are sturdy and inexpensive. The Duvanes site is the least expensive site to get them. I have really searched the net for the best price, e-bay bids go as high as $35. The picture on the okuma site is of two racks. I recommend getting two, that configuration stores 32 rods and you save on shipping by getting two. They can be set up all 4 components in a straight line as opposed to back to back as shown in the picture in the okuma site

http://store.dauvensfishinhole.com/6600390.html

http://www.okumafishing.com/products/accessories/images/rrb1large.gif

#7 ·
fojoloy, thanks a million for that picture! I figure any time I want to pick up another rod, all I need to do is show that to my wife -- "See hon, at least I'm not as bad as THAT GUY!!"

#10 ·
Wow, Thats alot of rods Folojoly. It looked like some of them might have been custom jobs, do you build your own? I am also in need of a system to store my rods. As of now they are just kind of scattered about the garage. I need to do something though before one of the kids breaks one as they cannot seem to refrain themselves from messing with them.

Not to change the direction of the thread, but how do you guys transport your rods? I have looked at a few different commercially manufactured rod holders, but have yet to see one that I can really look at and say, yes that is exactly what I need.

#11 ·
basil--- Only about ten of my rods are customs that I put together. The overhead rack is made from bleached out timbers I found washed up on the beach years ago. My home is one of the old locally constructed ones built in the early fifties and it has nine foot ceilings. The vertical holders are commercial ones that I purchased from a tackle shop going out of business.

As for transporting, I have no problem, everywhere I fish is within a ten mile radius.

#12 ·
I have found the best way to transport rods is 4 inch PVC pipe with a perminent cap at one end and a twist-on cap at the other. The Airlines still beat up the caps and crack them. Replacement of the cap is around 5 bucks. If anyone wants a picture I can take one.

#13 ·
Sorry, Randy I recently sold a Shimano rack that held 30 rods if I remember correctly. It was 3 rows deep and held 8 or 10 to the row. It had Shimano logos on three sides. Anyway it came from a guy who deals in store fixtures. He goes to every store closing auction. I didn't ask him which store he got it from but at 20 bucks it didn't make sense to be nosey at the time. Ocasionally when a Wal mart or K-mart moves they will have a good rack or two but your best bet is finding a tackle shop that is closing or a large hardware store that also sell fishing tackle. They generally have more suitable racks. With a little time and thought you can design your own. Of course it helps to have some wood working tools if you want it to look it's best. AL

#14 ·
Berger, The system is setup to catch certain words to keep this a clean, family site. Unfortunately there are certain words with more than one meaning. I adjusted the vocabulary of the system so that the phrase 'screw-on' will not be marked out again. :)

Berger said:
I have found the best way to transport rods is 4 inch PVC pipe with a perminent cap at one end and a twist-on cap at the other. The Airlines still beat up the caps and crack them. Replacement of the cap is around 5 bucks. If anyone wants a picture I can take one.

#15 ·
Sinker Man, Thanks for the reply. Good idea on looking for store closeouts. I decided to order a couple of the Okuma racks that Berger recommended, since all my outfits are Okuma. I'll let you all know how they work. They are certainly inexpensive enough. :)

#16 ·
William, transportion depends mainly on what you drive. My fishing wagon is a van and has over head and vertical rod racks that I built and mounted permanantly. The vertical racks hold 6 2pc rods each and double as clothes hanging space. The overhead racks get the surf rods and 1 pc rods while the vertical racks will hadle 2 pc rods up to about 9'. Last fall I went to Fl and carried over 100 outfits though admittedly some were laid on top of my bed. I have seen quite a few pick ups and SUV's that had custom racks AL

#18 ·
Not to change the direction of the thread, but how do you guys transport your rods?(QUOTE)

basil --- I almost forgot I had this case.:confused: I'ts an older Fenwick, holds three fly rods along with minimum accessaries. Have used it on airlines with no problems and it will fit safely in a vehicle most anywhere. I saw similiar carrying cases at Wal-Mart couple years ago.

#19 ·
Fojoloy, Thats a sweet set up for a days worth of rods. I was initially thinking something more along the lines of a rack that attaches to the roof, but after seeing your case I think I like the idea of something like that better. It would be nice to have the rods reel and all the accessories all in one case and ready to go at a moments notice. On more than one occasion I have had a spur of the moment fishing trip after a dispute with the old lady and its hard to gather up all the gear in that state of mind, this case would be perfect for that. :D See ya!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.