NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a store local to Raleigh that sells fishing rod roof racks. I have a Thule base rack, but no one seems to carry there castaway fishing rod holder. It does not need to lock. I just want something to carry rods on the roof of my Grand Cherokee. I need to pick one up by this Saturday. Thanks in advance.:):)
I do not have enough time to drive to Greenville, Fayetteville or Charlotte.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Here's one idea -- or maybe two or three:
DIY rod holders for Yakima racks - Topic By Kayak Fishing Stuff

You might be able to rig up something like this:
Dick's Sporting Goods - Outdoors: Fishing: Rod / Reel Accessories: Holders: Berkley Boat Rod Rack

Also, Cabelas & BassPro (and others) have a variety of solutions that will hold rods up under the headliner, inside your Grand Cherokee. You might be able to get one of them delivered in time if you hurry.
Cabela's -- Rodmounts RodLoft PRO&#8482 Rod Holder

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Add a 4" diameter piece of PVC pipe with removeable caps on each end and you can slide one rod in each way and strap that to the rack. make sure your caps dont fit too tight or you'll have trouble getting them off to get the rods out. Just an idea....

make sure diameter of pipe alllows for reels, might need to step up on size..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think that a ski rack will work? The Thule Rod Rack is expensive.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Better yet get some 3/8 plywood cut to size and clamp that in the ski rack and go from there. just make sure you can get it in and out when you add everything to it. I like Thules locking box idea. It's no more expensive than their ski racks. You could do it in wood and paint it but I don't know how it would look. some how you are going to have to secure them anyway. That is the toughest part. You don't want one to come out while you are driving.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Add a 4" diameter piece of PVC pipe with removeable caps on each end and you can slide one rod in each way and strap that to the rack. make sure your caps dont fit too tight or you'll have trouble getting them off to get the rods out. Just an idea....

make sure diameter of pipe alllows for reels, might need to step up on size..
PVC works great! I made my front mounted rod holders out of PVC and then painted them with black emamel.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
To follow on Lefty's suggestion. I bought the RodLoft Pro 2 years ago and it's perfect. I travel a lot and like to have my rods ready at all times. I can carry 8ft rods in my Armada with no problem and I don't worry about the rods getting broken or stolen.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0006GVEKS/ref=dp_image_0/102-8728972-3119341?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods"]
[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.