NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find a chart that indicates what kind fish is biting around when during the year?

What kind of fish is biting at pier/surf right now?

My friend and I went to N. Topsail pier yesterday, we had some very strong bites.

We were using giant size cutbait, squid, whole shrimp and live mullet

1st big bite, fish went straight under the pier, line broke
2nd big bite, a 4 to 5 foot shark, pulled to the pier, then line snapped
3rd, 4th, 5th big bites, didn't even get a chance to see what it was, all lines in the reel went empty in a few second, tie up the line and broke. 30lb test line.

Definitely something big, we think it might be sharks or maybe big black drum? We were fishing not far from the surf.

Anyways, it was a fun day. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Actually there's a chart book that show's what's in season at what month's.
I cannot remember the name off the top of my head and some might beat me to it.. if not, I'll get the name of it when I get to the house and post it back up for ya.

Also I believe there's a NC charter fishing website or two that will show what's biting during what month's. Just google up Charter Captains for Morehead/Wilmington/Southport and you'll probably stumble on one of them ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Probably blacktips feeding on finger mullet in the surf. Were you using wire leader. Were any of the lines bit into (if not)? Did you ever see any mullet jumping to escape something? Most of the time if fish are feeding on mullet I can tell what is doing the feeding by watching the way the mullet react. Black tips are just a little slower than kings when they go zipping thru a school. The foward part of the V formed by jumping fish is a little broader also. Sharks are more apt to turn to the side during one of those "spurts".

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
With surf temp as high as it is I'd say sharks..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some lines were bit into and yeah, the mullets were jumping. However, there was once we had something huge with squid and one time something big pulled, but we lost it, and the mullet came back perfect and still alive, just lost all the scales. Looked like something swallowed and spitted it back out.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Actually there's a chart book that show's what's in season at what month's.
I cannot remember the name off the top of my head and some might beat me to it.. if not, I'll get the name of it when I get to the house and post it back up for ya.
GMCO Maps & Charts Waterproof Chartbook of NC. $35. Love it. All the coast with fishing spots, put-ins, etc. Most fishing spots give months. Spoke with them recently and a new one is due out soon- so if you are thinking about it, wait a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The squid bait could have been just about anything. All predator fish that I can think of will eat squid. Not sure about wheather Tarpon eat them or not. I'd suspect it was a shark. I posted earlier that it was probably blacktips but there are also spinners, sandbars, tigers, duskies, and maybe some lemons and silkies around the surf during the mullet runs. Not a good time to be wading out in the surf. LOL Normally most of them will be 3'-6'. The bigger ones will come right into the surf sometimes after the bigger mullet.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good little list Shakes.. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shakespeare.

Story continues..

We went to myrtle beach on weekend, I....lost...my...freaking...pole!!!!!

I only had 1/3 of my pole outside the pier, saw a bite, walk towards it, thought it was crab, then the next thing you know, the back of the pole lifted up and shot straight into the ocean like an arrow, not even a chance for me to grab it
bye bye $70 pole....

My friend had bites that the wire leader got broken, it is a 45lb proven wire.

We are going to be even more prepared next time.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If I walk away from a rod at the pier it has a bungee on it or the drag loose. I lost 2 rods not paying attention over the years.. A big ray or shark never looks back!! Most likely was one of those...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That's a handy list. Surf City Ocean Pier updates their What's Biting page pretty regularly. That is a pretty good indicator of what to expect for the rest of the area but I've seen times when all 3 TI piers were catching different species. That happens with schooling fish. You ought to check with the guys at Sea View and see what's so hard about posting a report on their site. They are awfully slack in that area for some reason.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've lost a couple or three myself. I just treat it as an excuse to upgrade.LOL It is a little rough when you lose one that has caught a ton of fish and you can't get it anymore. Or one you custom built for yourself. I've been lucky in that department.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a good way to "dispose" of old/bad equipment so you can upgrade and the wife wont fuss if you make a big deal out of "losing you favorite combo"!!! Boohoohoo!!!
Tackle Monkey makes us do BADDDD things..LOL!!!!

"Honey, I had to buy it! We were at the pier just having a great time and all of the sudden it just shot over the rail!!! Honest!!..It musta been JAWS :eek:.LOL!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.