NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Surf fishing is still slow but there are reports of some mullet being caught but not in large numbers yet. Sea View Pier is reporting mullet, skate and puffers being caught. The Trout and Drum are biting back in the creeks and marsh areas . I heard from a friend yesterday that the Gray Trout bite was back on at Diver's Rock out of New River Inlet if you have access to a boat.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my buddy has a 17ft carolina skiff so we were planning on fishing out in the inlet and around the waterways. thanks for the info as far as the marshes go for the drum is any area any better than another

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
As you come back in the inlet, take the channel to the left which will take you back behind Topsail Island. but before you get back there you will see some marsh banks with a few small feeder creeks on the right hand side, they usually hold some reds and some Specks. Also there are some flats up a head of that that often have drum on them if it's a sunny day.

If you have a GPS and want to jig Gray Trout up just outside the inlet near the Inlet Bouy or if you want to head out a mile or so to Diver's rock, send me a PM and I'll shoot you some GPS numbers. However - if you aren't familiar with the inlet or haven't been through it lately - I'd recommend you follow a local Captain out. The inlet channel is marked and is fairly decent but the shoals move around, esp with the winter winds and current.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hampstead, did they ever dredge out Topsail inlet??
Oh, it was horrible there couple years back.. Think we had less than 3 ft one day of clearance and still bottomed out and got tossed due to some breakers. Haven't been back since (Masonboro much better inlet).

Today would be the day to be out fishin for sure....
If the weather lay's down (fingers x'd) we'll be out Saturday.....

If you go out BaitNfly, drop a report back! Good luck!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
New Topsail channel (inlet portion) has been dredged but it needs the buoys repositioned. It will always be a tough inlet as it has no protection from shifting sands and currents. The sound side of the channel (the "S" curves near connecting to the ICW) are in real bad shape in spots too.

But it's New River Inlet that Baitand Fly would use out of Sneads Ferry and it is in better shape. However with the current weather forecast he maybe better off staying inside and fishing for Reds.

Yes today would have been a good day to get out. Sat. looks snotty right now.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Rog on that Hamp

Yeah,,, another bummer weekend... due to WEATHER!! :mad:

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Thanx on the info Hampstead... I know it was tricky in the turns last time we went out and I can vouch for the cans not bein in the right spot in the inlet!! briefly stuck in ankle deep water with a 4 ft roller comin at our broadside sure got our attention fast! :eek: (shiver just thinkin about it)

Welp,, guess I could "hang out" with yakers at the lake?!?! :eek:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think we are probably going to stay in with the chance of thunderstorms and the wind bowing at 10 to 15 during the day. I am taking my flyrod and a baitcaster if the wind gets up to much. Have you heard if anyone is catching any stripers? I don't know how many usually come up the new river. Probably stick to the marshes and try to nab a red or speck. could be a gray swimming around too.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind was blowing about 15 saturday I didn't catch anything but a few crabs. Water was choppy all day long. the water temp was in the 60's during the day. Just about impossible to anchor up with the wind current. Well it beats being at work!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and just to let you know we got checked by Marine Fisheries in Richland, NC just outside of Jacksonville on the way out. Of course we didn't have any violations but we didn't catch any fish and the boat had all the required floatation devices. I joke with the official and said "I wish I had caught a fish that you could write me a citation for!:rolleyes:"

·
Registered
31 Posts
To much wind

I also went out Sat. The wind was not bad early, but later on it was a gale.
I tried a couple of small bays at high tide. I was not able to site fish with the wind blowing but I did see a couple trun the water. Went down to Browns Inlet, thought I might get into some Trout in the holes but nothing. I did make bait. but no large ones.
Added a pic of the bait.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.