NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I've been here for almost 5 years, I still haven't been able to find any really good fishing spots either in fresh or salt water. I live in Newport. Most of the lakes are private or have posted signs. Does anyone have any idea where there is decent fishing near here.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Not familiar with the area but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: ducks & geese

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome ducks and geese!

Nothing wrong with fishing from the bank or in the surf at all. That is what is so incredible about this sight! There are all kinds of fishermen.
I do a lot of surf fishing and wading as I sold my boat about 4 years ago and can't afford another one right now. I go out on the overnight headboat trips quite a bit and do real well also.

I don't know anything about the Newport area but if it is the Newport that I am thinking about there should be plenty of water to access.

Mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
For freshwater info you would be best off visiting luremaker's tackle shop in Havelock. He's less than 10 miles from you and he would probably rather not publish the best spots over the web as it might lead to them being the worst spots to be. I think the name of his shop is Lew's Bait and Tackle. At least it's something close to that anyway. He builds freshwater lures under the name Stumphugger Baits. I think there is a current report of one of our members catching some blues in the surf at Pine Knoll Shores on the island. I believe that there should be some flounder in the area of the inlets. That is where I would recommend going first. I'm assuming you don't have a cast net or a minnow trap to catch bait with. I would suggest carry a couple of kast masters or other spoons. Use about 30" of 30# leader.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I thought that was the Newport that he was talking about sinker man.

There are a lot of places going either way ducks & Geese. I used to fish a lot up in New Bern on the Trent River when I had my boat but there are plenty of places to fish from the bank also. I am sure that if you hang out in some of the tackle shops as sinker man suggested folks will recommend places to you and give you some good tips too.

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For freshwater info you would be best off visiting luremaker's tackle shop in Havelock. He's less than 10 miles from you and he would probably rather not publish the best spots over the web as it might lead to them being the worst spots to be. I think the name of his shop is Lew's Bait and Tackle. At least it's something close to that anyway. He builds freshwater lures under the name Stumphugger Baits. I think there is a current report of one of our members catching some blues in the surf at Pine Knoll Shores on the island. I believe that there should be some flounder in the area of the inlets. That is where I would recommend going first. I'm assuming you don't have a cast net or a minnow trap to catch bait with. I would suggest carry a couple of kast masters or other spoons. Use about 30" of 30# leader.
I've been in Lew's that's where I buy my worms, but I asked hedidn't volunteer any spots to me. I'll try again. Thanks. I'll keep looking & asking

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Maybe if you told him you were a proud member of ncangler.com he'd help you out some. Might not hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.