NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Laniers Camground in Holly Ridge NC tomorrow for a week and taking my kayak with me. Has anyone been fishing recently? My yak is a Perception Flash 9.5', sit-in.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have been fishing the areas behind the barrier islands staying out of boat wakes from the ICW. Been catching croakers, spots, a few trout and puppy drum and some nice sized rays on mainly shrimp and a bottom rig. Fish seem to bite best for me on an outgoing tide and most fish have come from around 2 foot of water. Key thing- the water needs to be moving from the tide- not from just the wind

·
Registered
21 Posts
We spent a week in Topsail in June. Here are the two places (paste cords in Google maps) well suited for kayaking.

34.46208096085328, -77.48600007785642
- good access to the permuda island between topsail and the mainland. I caught a sea trout.

34.49417989052002, -77.46517430065221
- Turkey Creek WRC boat launch. Caught a bluefish and red drum.

-CB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just returned after several days of fishing the grass islands adjacent to the campround. Picked up two flounder on pink artifical shrimp and released. Lost several other fish. It was great to be out on the water and experience my first week of retirement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts