NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Forum, first post!

I have an 8 foot Wilderness System Ripper kayak that I generally take out on the local lakes and rivers in Central NC. In a few weeks me and a few others who have kayaks plan to take an overnight trip down to the Cape Fear River to visit Sharks Tooth Island and camp out on Keg Island just south of Wilmington, NC. And of course, I can't be on the water and not fish!

I could really use some advice on what types of fish I will encounter this time of year and what to use as bait/rigs. I was thinking about using bottom rig with shrimp as bait but not sure if that would work or if there was something better! I'm open to any and all suggestions! My girlfriend I know will want to use a bobber with a worm, any comments on if that will work or not?

Lastly I am unfamiliar with the Cape Fear River and fishing that close to the ocean. I'm open to any and all advice!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Don't be afraid of the ocean, be very afraid of the wakes those container ship make.
Topwater, jigs with Gulps, tip a jig with Shrimp or live bait on a Carolina Rig all work.
Fish for Reds, Trout, Flounders, Jack, Ladyfish, Blues & maybe a stray Cobia.
Hope this helps. ...... ICM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I admit, I am relatively narrow minded in my fishing experience. I typically use Beetle Spin or worms on a bobber and it has always been effective in the lakes and streams I fish so I haven't branched out. Can you tell me what type of topwater lures and jigs to use? I don't know much about those at all.

Thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your girlfriend wants to use a bobber, a popping cork rig with gulp srimp will be ideal for her. Watch out she will catch more than you do. Trout are in after June 15th. Don't forget nc lic and size limits. Flounder, trout, reds will all attack gulp or curly tail srimp on a popping cork Fish the edge of the grass. Good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You can add Tarpon to the list as well. Landed a beauty last August in the shipping channel on live Bunker. Plenty of sharks roam the river as well. Do me mindful of shipping ships as mentioned. They will leave you high and dry until the receding wake travels back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tahnk you drumchaser! The advice is greatly appreciated! As for the shipping ships, other than making sure we stay well clear of them, is there anyway else to be aware of or to protect from thier wakes??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for the advice! Speaking of License, is a saltwater license required here or will a feshwater suffice? (I'm assuming saltwater, but I don't mind saving a few extra dollars on a license if possible!)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tahnk you drumchaser! The advice is greatly appreciated! As for the shipping ships, other than making sure we stay well clear of them, is there anyway else to be aware of or to protect from thier wakes??
Just try to keep an eye on when one passes so you can move if needed. If your close to structure or in shallow water it can be dangerous. The swell will turn into a wave in the shallow water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts