NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
To clarify, once you open the link, click on "Fishing Locations." Scroll down to the middle of the page and click on "Rivers and Streams" in the Piedmont region. You will find four sites listed for the Haw River.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party! Sorry, no help on that locality!

·
Registered
575 Posts
My knowledge of the Haw is limited, and what I know comes from several relatives who live there. There are fish in the Haw, but in the past, the Haw was so polluted that few folks bothered to fish it. It's my understanding that the Haw is much cleaner now and ok for fishing, but the stygma remains. Your best bet would probably be to launch a canoe along a road access and fish it that way, unless you could find a landowner willing to give you access to bank fish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My brother and I went up in canoe from the dam at 15-501. The water was shallow with many rocks. Caught some small bream and cats. Weather was pretty crappy with bouts of torrential rain. Looks like it could be fun with a fly rod on a nice day.

Sandman

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
597 Posts
If going by yourself you can launch at Hwy. 54 or Glencoe access area, paddle up river with an easy return trip. I wouldn't say it's so much about a spot area that is better than others, just a matter of searching and the hitting the usual structure areas of log piles, holes and edges of the deeper flats.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a good spot to park your car and a long trail right near a little dinky spot off of hwy 54 called saxaphaw... right across the bridge there is a spot u can park on the left where there is a very long trail that you can walk down and have access to numerous spots. It can get fairly trashy back there so i dont know how many fish are going to be closer to the road.. you might have to walk a good ways to get to a good spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just off the intersection of 501 / 64 at the dam is a pretty decent spot. I just came off of two days fishing today ( my feet are pretty darn blistered up from the crap boots I wore all day ). Great spots, but you can rest assured that you'll be walking alot and up to chest in the water. Great spots though, went this am about 6:00 am and there were some nice healthy bass ( maybe about 14" and up ) biting and anxious. . . but after 7 or so they'll be gone.

If you can make your way down the river about 300 meters from the falls of the dam and you can find an upturned stump about 15 feet high, drop a fresh twister in the water and drag it along, you'll be surprised. You can catch up to about 30 fish within two hours but most will be pretty small. But FUN! Hope this helps, enjoy.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
We were further downriver. Still wading in chest deep water, the the water is a great temperature right now, so it feels great. The rocks can wear your feet out though, so be prepared to bring decent footwear.

We were out there from 10 am and fished until about 12 pm, and they were biting continuously. Lots of short strikers, but some were nice sized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.