NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to go up north again this coming Friday or Saturday to do a little fishing! If anyone would like to hook up, Please let me know. I am open to fishing anywhere at anytime. Maybe I will be able to catch a fish this time.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
BigOsh
Count me as interested, although I can't commit to either date right now. Friday after work would probably be my first choice, followed by Saturday afternoon/evening. I'll start talking to the rest of the family's calendars to see what fits...
Lefty

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anybody interested in a fishing trip to Lake Phelps on Saturday?
in case your not familiar with this lake, its a pristine 16,000 acre natural lake. The water is clear like the Florida Keys. See all the way to the white sand bottom. And Big Osh, the odds are very good that you will catch fish. The bass aren't huge but lots of 2-4 pounders and some big panfish.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Anybody interested in a fishing trip to Lake Phelps on Saturday?
How long is the drive from the western part of Wake Co? If Google Earth showed me the right place, it's about 130 miles east of here?

If that's the right place, then personally, I'll need to stay closer to home this weekend. I'm heading to Ft. Fisher next weekend, I'll need to save up both my gas money and my time-off points. :D

Sounds like a neat place for "one of these days", though. Not sure how my tackle will fare on clear water, though... not sure I've seen much of THAT stuff...

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's about a three hour drive from Fuquay, not sure from western Wake. Would be great fun for two or three people. If everyone chips in for the fuel it makes such a trip easier on the budget.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
It's about a three hour drive from Fuquay, not sure from western Wake. Would be great fun for two or three people. If everyone chips in for the fuel it makes such a trip easier on the budget.
I live in Cary -- I'm sure 90% of your trip would be the same as mine.

What do you drive, Sub? I'm trying to work on efficient logistics for ridesharing to Ft. Fisher, and seem to be hitting a wall at 2 yaks per vehicle. It's easy to carry more people, but nowhere near as easy to carry more kayaks. Sure would be great to be able to split the fuel costs three ways, or even four...

Lefty

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lefty,
you let me know what works for you. I am off Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week. So I am game for anything. I had thought about Jordan lake area again.

Yellowsub,
I would love to go one day. It would have to be planned out in advance for me. It is nearly 200 miles from my house, so it would have to be an over night trip for me. Maybe we could plan something for July. That way it would give us Guys some time to butter up the wifes. But thank you for the invitation.:):)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lefty,
I may have an answer to carring more then one Yak. There is a place here on Base that rents canoes and things. He has a trailer that will hold at least Three yaks. I tried calling him a few minutes ago and he was out. I will check back with him and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I live in Cary -- I'm sure 90% of your trip would be the same as mine.

What do you drive, Sub? I'm trying to work on efficient logistics for ridesharing to Ft. Fisher, and seem to be hitting a wall at 2 yaks per vehicle. It's easy to carry more people, but nowhere near as easy to carry more kayaks. Sure would be great to be able to split the fuel costs three ways, or even four...

Lefty
I drive an F-250 crew cab diesel. I think it could transport three people with gear and boats. Two on the racks and one secured in the bed? Short of having some type of trailer where you could transport half a dozen yaks, the vehicle rack systems do seem to limit the ability to carry more than two.
I can't make it to Ft Fisher due to being on call that weekend.

As for a trip to Lake Phelps, overnight would be the best bet. I could check to see if there is camping at Pettigrew state park.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I drive an F-250 crew cab diesel. I think it could transport three people with gear and boats. Two on the racks and one secured in the bed? Short of having some type of trailer where you could transport half a dozen yaks, the vehicle rack systems do seem to limit the ability to carry more than two.
I can't make it to Ft Fisher due to being on call that weekend.

As for a trip to Lake Phelps, overnight would be the best bet. I could check to see if there is camping at Pettigrew state park.
There is a campground at the state park. It lists family campground $15 per night which includes picnic table and grill for each of the thirteen sites. Also facilities with bath house / showers.
Other option might be motel in Creswell. Just some food for thought. :cool:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't do the kayak/canoe thing. I'm way to big for that :) But I do live in Washington about 55 miles from Lake Phelps and I have never been there.I have only been to Mattammuskeet.... My wife and I would be willing, depending on schedule, to open our doors to a few guys if you want/need somewhere to stay to make this thing work for you. That way if some needed an extra day for travel they don't have to pay for a hotel. I have 2 extra bedrooms and a comfy couch in a non smoking home with 2 little dogs and a wife that is a clean freak to a point..LOL!! I'm only a 12 blocks off the Pamlico river and we have a little Kayak shop here in town that also does tours now as well as 2 boat dealers and 2 pretty well equipped tackle shops...
Biggest catch is we have 1 bathroom... :) But I'm offering....
lake phelps - Google Maps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sundrop, thanks for the invite. That might really help some of the guys put this road trip into gear. With the exception of being on call every five weeks, i'm always a push over with minimal arm twisting to fish somewhere. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sundrop,
I will definitely keep you in mind. I have never been out that way. This week end would be hard for me to swing. I think July would be a good time to try it. That will give us some time to iron out the details. Again many thanks for offering us your home to stay at. You don't find many fokes out there that are willing to do such a thing. Sundrop if you are ever over this way and you and your wife need a place to stay you let me know.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I don't do the kayak/canoe thing. I'm way to big for that :)
Never too big for fun, sundrop. We've got you covered:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

MAX CAPACITY 550-600 lbs

Description: "With a wider seat well..."

What more could you want? Its on the short list of boats to add to my own fleet. I may need the extra capacity when I eventually revolt against this latest no-carb diet...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I drive an F-250 crew cab diesel. I think it could transport three people with gear and boats. Two on the racks and one secured in the bed?
Sounds like four boats to me, if you can get two on top. My boat has ridden alongside Jeffo's in the bed of his truck (Chevy, isn't it?) and alongside Sandman's canoe in his Nissan Titan.

Still working on the plans for this coming weekend... Not sure yet whether Friday or Saturday will work better for me...

The Lake Phelps trip sounds like a cool adventure.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Never too big for fun, sundrop. We've got you covered:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

MAX CAPACITY 550-600 lbs

Description: "With a wider seat well..."

What more could you want? Its on the short list of boats to add to my own fleet. I may need the extra capacity when I eventually revolt against this latest no-carb diet...
WOW! I had no idea you could by one that big!!!!! Lord knows I could use the exercise...hmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To all,

It looks like Saturday is going to be the day for this weekend. The time has not been set yet, Nor has a place been set. Harris has been mentioned. If anyone would like to go or has a good place close by please let us know. You can post here or send me a PM.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can do saturday. I have some thoughts on where. Harris might be scary for paddlers due to the volume of run and gun bassers on a Saturday. I usually like fishing Harris though. There is always Beaver Dam at Falls Lake state park. I don't think motorized water craft are allowed. Gates to the park don't open until 0800.
I also know of a sweet old mill pond off of HWY 751. I know for a fact there are some big bass in there but you need a light weight boat (Kayak)??? to reach them. People fish the shore but never see anyone in a small boat back in the coves and stumps where the big uns are. At any rate, lets put something together. Osh, you could meet me at my house in Fuquay. Per my earlier message, it should take you no more than 45 minutes.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Looks like I can do Saturday, but not until after the soccer game... gets done at 2:00 down between Fuquay and Holly Springs. I'll have to get my son squared away after that...
Lefty

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.