NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in case any Triangle yakkers are out and about today. uppper 60s predicted, so hoping i can catch a big LMB sneaking into the shallows doing pre-spawn research.

orange tarpon 120.

// Joel

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had the lake to myself (weaver creek at jordan). saw a truck in the parking lot as i left, but never saw another boat.

slow day, but i expected as much. tried cranks, plastic worm (rigged shaky head style), and tandem spinnerbait -- all worked slowly with no luck. right at dusk i seem to have found what they wanted -- a suspending rapala x-rap in a perch pattern. got a nice LMB at least 3lbs, another 5min later about 2lbs. just twitched it back on the retrieve with long pauses -- both fish hit the lure on the pause, and both in structure. wish i had switched to the x-rap earlier!

one interesting detail: both fish had very red/raw upper lips -- any idea what that means?

fyi -- joel

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Either they had been feeding heavy or preparing their spawning area and possibly defending it I'd say.

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either they had been feeding heavy or preparing their spawning area and possibly defending it I'd say.
both fish were very aggressive -- hit the lure on 1st cast to the area, and fought hard like they were in warm water! i know it's still early (water still very cold), but apparently there are a few eager bass moving up into the shallows and starting prespawn activities. they're prob as eager for spring as i am!

// joel

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice job Joel. I was really hoping the winds weren't going to be what they are today so I could get out but it's a blow out. On a brighter note, I landed my largest White Crappie to date - 15 1/2 inches, 1/2 inch shy of an NCARP trophy. Don't know what it weighed since I didn't have a scale but the state record is 1 lb 13 oz - it could have been close but the fish was too nice to kill just for the opportunity to weight it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job Joel. I was really hoping the winds weren't going to be what they are today so I could get out but it's a blow out. On a brighter note, I landed my largest White Crappie to date - 15 1/2 inches, 1/2 inch shy of an NCARP trophy. Don't know what it weighed since I didn't have a scale but the state record is 1 lb 13 oz - it could have been close but the fish was too nice to kill just for the opportunity to weight it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
yeah, that wind is howling out there today. good for you on 2 counts -- catching that nice crappie--then throwing it back! look forward to seeing the photo. //joel

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've been hitting em with Rattle traps. Even these days that are sunny and windy try to fish the windblown side if possible, it will stack the warm water up, the baitfish will move in and then the others follow.:D

tight lines <*)))))>{
caught both these fish on the windblown side -- should have *started* fishing there instead of ending up there at dusk!
// joel

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
My fist thought had always been to get out of the wind. I heard several talk of how the wind drives the warm water and the plankton etc to one shore and the bait follow, so the big boys follow the bait.... Now I just have to tough out some wind because it definitely works!!!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
taking the yak back to weaver creek today to try my luck. just fyi in care any triangle-area yakkers are out fishing today.

tarpon 120 / orange

// JOEL

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
had a good winter day of bass fishing. got 4 hits, caught 4 -- one ca. 5.5lbs (22"L x 14"G), one 3lbs, two 1.5lbs each. caught 3 on a shakey-head worm rig, including the big one; caught one on a rapala crank (DTFSS3).

here's a shot of the biggest one

in case that linke doesn't work, here's the URL: Picasa Web Albums - Joel - 2008-02-16

beautiful day on the water. only one other boat on the lake.

// joel

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
oh my...

and all I got done today was to put another treatment of 303 on my yak... had to hang with my son while my wife took care of errands...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jeff: thank you for your earlier info re: shaky head worm rigging. i've been fishing worms texas-rigged style since the 1970s, but your article inspired me to try this shaky head thang. works great, and seems esp. effective for winter bass -- used a 1/4" head with a zoom green-with-chartruese tail 6" finesse worm. really like working it with a spinning rig, even tho i'm otherwise partial to baitcasters for bass fishing. feel like i can really bounce the worm well with rod in right hand (i'm right-handed), and i can feel every little bump and tap with my new 7' bionic blade xps medium action spinning rod (the 14lb fireline braid helps, too).

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
went back today, hoping for a repeat of yesterday. not as lucky, tho got 2 decent fish. one was close to 4lbs, the other about 3lbs. both on a suspending rapala x-rap xr10 gold in structure, and both within 15 minutes -- twitching and pausing. only thing that seem to work today. only 2 bites, but made good on each.

// joel

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.