NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Weldon next Tuesday and Wednesday. Going to use a fly to try and attract a few Stripers. I haven't heard yet if any have made it that far up yet and I hope the warmer temps this week will bring them up. I know the larger one don't come up until later but we may have a chance to go back later. Has anyone caught or heard of anyone catching them yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you guys know how the crowds are at Weldon? It seems like the run hasn't gotten into full swing yet (at least from the lack of reports). I'm headed up that way to visit an old buddy this weekend and we are trying to decide where to fish. If it's early in the run and the crowds aren't too bad we might give it a shot. Do you know if there are any shad left too? I have never been there but he has.

thanks

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crowd wise I do not know but the fishing tackle place that is right by the boat ramp is the Roanoke River Outfitters [FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1](252) 536-3119 and I am sure they could give you an up to date report. Usually during the week isn't too bad but it can get kinda crowded on the weekend, especially if the word is out that the fish are biting. A friend of mine caught around a 100 shad with 2 other people back on the week of 3/24 [/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks B&F
We'll probably call that number before we decide. My buddy is worried about finding a spot to park if we get there too late. We will be coming from the RaleighDurham area and don't want to have to leave at 3 in the morning. Since I've never been there, I would like to try it out with spinning and fly gear. I would prefer no "combat fishing", though.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from weldon to williamston

We didn't go to weldon either because there were not many stripers there. We went to williamston instead because we heard they were there. Saw people catching some stripers but didn't get any ourselves on Tuesday. Wednesday we went back out again and I did catch 2 blue catfish that were 6lbs apiece. i didn't see as many stripers being caught. Heard at the bait shop that someone caught like a 40-50lb striper in scotland neck. Wednesday the guide I go with said they caught 14 stipers in Weldon but only 3 were keepers none in the over 27" category.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know how to petition the NC Wildlife and Resources Department on possibly extending the striper season on the upper Roanoke. I am sure it takes more than an act of Congress to do so. The stripers seem to be making a late run b/c of the weather and by the time they are in the numbers we are used to around Weldon the seaon will be over (April 30th). I don't mind catch and release (as a matter of fact I prefer it) but it would be nice to take at least one home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.