NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new to NC fishing and my last few fishing trips have produced very little I decided to hire a guide for a day trip to see what I could learn. Drew is a full time guide and tournament angler and fishes lake Norman for most of his local trips.

We caught over 40 spotted bass for the day but the most important part of the experience for me was the information I was able to collect. We fished Tuesday and with the turn on the weather he really had to hunt around to find fish. He was very fourth coming with his expertise and I learned a huge amount about lure choices, fishing tactics, and a host of information on why, how and where.

Fishing out of his 2014 24 ft Ranger was a nice addition for the day as well. Super nice guy who is willing to share what he knows which was my original interest in the first place.

One particular lure that worked for the day was a 4.95 inch Reactions Innovations Flirt worm in Green Pumpkin with 3/16 oz drop shot weights suspended about 12 inches below the lure. The fish were not very aggressive on any tackle we used that day but this setup was getting most of our results.

It wasn't a strike at all. More like you felt hung up on the bottom. Once you felt a little drag on the line you set the hook and it was on. I would have never figured this out on my own and watching Drew work through his tackle box with explanations on what he was thinking was so very helpful.

Going to hit TuckerTown this weekend with my new found tips to see what I can get into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuckertown, a challenge, I got Drew in my brain now. Gonna slay um. lol

I did hear through the grapevine that Tuckertown was doing pretty good last week. I am not sure what the definition is of doing pretty good out there but I was under the impression it was a decent place to fish. I might have to re-think my fishing destination this weekend. Not really looking for a challenge yet.

I need more positive reinforcement of my newly learned fishing skills before I start trying to out think the fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked Drew about Tuckertown while we were fishing. He didn't really comment on how fruitful the lake was but his suggestion was frogs and spinner baits around the grass. I love top water stuff and frog fishing to me is a blast.

What do you think are good lures for Tuckertown as I am all ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.