NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Not only am I new to this site, but I have never fished NC before. My wifes sister and family just moved to Charlotte from Florida a month ago. My father in law died a few months ago, then the new job, move, etc. her two sons are having trouble adapting to the new area, and her husband hasn't been able to do any scouting because of job. I will be going down from here in PA the weekend after Easter, and was hoping to get them out fishing, and to show them some things in the area they can look forward to doing. The boys are 8 and 11, and like fishing, but love catching! (Don't we all) I joined the site in hopes of getting some leads on easy places to get to that might have kid friendly fishing - quantity rather than quality of fish,
in the area surrounding Charlotte. Later in the year, I will be bringing down a fleet of fishing kayaks for us all to use, but this trip will be fishing from shore only. My previous experience with southern bass lakes has been limited, but seemed like they had had so much thrown at them, that they were very wary, and beyond the boys abilities.
Thanks in advance for any postings, and I look forward to looking over the site.
John

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. Glad to have you around and getting the boys out. Do a search for Charlotte using the search function at the top. Charlotte fishing has been discussed a few times. My personal advice would be live bait like minnows or shiners.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
It never fails, when you leave the ramp in your high speed bass boat, fish all day hard casting lure after lure, come back to the ramp and there sit an old lady or a young kid with a bucket full of big bass or big bream. They look at you and say, you catch a lot out there, and you say no.

Fishing from the bank is always good for some.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to the site. A friend of mine loves fishing at a Catfish pond close to Lincolnton, NC (10 miles west of Huntersville). They also have a carp pond. My kids loved it the one time I went. Warmer weather and I just put my rod away to help the kids pull in small catfish. I am unsure if they are open for the year yet, but if interested I will check.

If some remember a show Hank Parker did with a kids tourney about a year or two ago, I am 99 percent sure this was the place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the warm welcome to your site, and some great information. I am very interested in the Catfish pond mentioned -
any more specifics to help locate it, and find out if it is open would be great.
Lots of small cats and sunfish is what I am looking for this first time with the boys.
In addition, looking at the arial photos of Lake Norman, it looks very daunting without local knowledge, but I noticed they also have a small
33 acre lake inside the state park. Does anyone know if you can walk the bank around the small lake?
Again, thanks for the leads - and the welcome.
John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Catfish and Carp Country, 4881 Old Plank Road, Iron Station, NC 28080,
(704) 732-1404

We have shore fished the Lake Norman State Park before. You can go to the main section (swimming area) and walk a trail and fish the main lake. The time we went there was some good blowdown in the water. Caught a few brim, the kids loved it. For the ponds - unsure but expect you could fish them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.