NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy`s and girls tell me what do they use as bait when using jugs there are so many turtles in these lakes it would seem the`d get 1st bite - yesterday i was fishing with rubber worm where you drag it on bottom all the sudden a GREAT tug - a few jerks and then it ran a little then all the sudden STOPPED and for 15 minutes we played tug of war then my line snapped - [ had to be a turtle ]

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
cut bait, dead minnows, chicken cutlets, gizzards, livers, doughbaits, hot dogs. stuff like that does good on juglines.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
What drop said. I preferred whole thread-fin shad, (they have to be dead, no live bait allowed) but any of the above will work. Can;t think of any way to keep the turtles off of the cat baits though.

Darrell

·
Registered
205 Posts
Chicken livers soaked in veg oil and a ton of garlic powder. If you can stand to leave it in a bucket with a lid for two days that concoction will gag a maggot but it's like bluecat candy. Your fingers will smell for a day and you might want to throw the bucket away. There are plenty of other "recipes" for cats on the web that involve about a week's worth of rotting but I don't like to puke when fishing so two days is about my limit.

- James -

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
dollar tree garlic powder (cheap) and table salt dumped on livers in a ziplock bag. Stick em in the fridge a few days and the salt makes them tougher, garlic gives them scent, all without getting rancid and hard to "stand". Same works for chicken "cutlets" or chunked breast meat.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have caught many things on plastic worms over my 30+ years of using them, and I use them a LOT. (I was once called "Tex" by a friend because of how often I use a Texas rigged worm). That being said, I've caught cats, bream, bass, crappie, spots, bowfin, even a white perch using a plastic worm. I've never caught a turtle. Not saying it doesn't happen, but for me it isn't common.

What you hooked may have been a turtle. But I would not necessarily assume that. Catfish? Monster bass that had you under a log or rock and you sawed back and forth till the line wore through? The proverbial one that got away, but it really could have been a fish. Just sayin.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
dollar tree garlic powder (cheap) and table salt dumped on livers in a ziplock bag. Stick em in the fridge a few days and the salt makes them tougher, garlic gives them scent, all without getting rancid and hard to "stand". Same works for chicken "cutlets" or chunked breast meat.
Same deal but with shrimp. Salt cured shrimp are a favorite for my father in law for both fresh and salt water.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I have had three turtles brought to the boat in plastic worms, twice on a Deep Creek and once on a Gulp Turtleback.

Evidently turtles like garlic as well

Darrell

·
Registered
549 Posts
Evidently turtles like garlic as well
Turtles are like goats, they will eat anything. I am mixed when I see them bank fishing. I like that my surroundings have return back to normal when I have been there and I am not a impact as turtle spook easy. On the other hand I hate them cause I think they are scaring away the fish when they chase after my bait. When I see turtles, I don't catch fish.

Could also be I am not a good fisherman but that doesn't sound right. :rolleyes: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.