NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to know what flies, and what colors most fly fishermen have the best luck with for speckled trout, drum, and flounder. I've caught a few specks on a Lefty's deceiver, but have heard good things about Clousers also. Another thing is fly size. I'll most likely be using a 6 or 7 wt fly rod, due to arthritis issues.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would tuti fruiti be pink, chartreuse, and white, or similar to electric chicken?

A #2 sounds reasonable for a 6 or 7 wt rod. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
No doubt the Clouser minnow is a very effective tool, but personally I find the weight configuration to be cumbersome when casting the pattern for hours on end. At times it becomes more of a chuck and duck type effort versus a casting rhythm that I prefer.
I prefer to stay with an unweighted streamer pattern such as the Deceiver, but I deliver the fly with a type 3, 12 ft sinktip. I find it more relaxing than dealing with the weighted fly and also much more effective in windy conditions.

Disclaimer:
Most of what I speak of should be considered as past tense since about the only flyfishing I do anymore is stream/river fishing in fairly shallow water.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Though there are several patterns that I like to play, I don't think any saltwater box would be complete with chartreuse/white clousers, red/white deceivers and a variety of seaducers.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crabman00 that makes a lot of sense what you said about the chuck and duck, and using sink tip fly line for the salt. At present, I don't have the sink tip line, but if I get more into fly fishing in the salt, I'll have to give that a lot of consideration.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had better luck with more natural looking Clousers, white, gold, grey, light brown. Of course, these are used in clear water. The key to the Clouser is to pick up the hair you plan on tying in, and then trashing about 1/2. These need to be tied very sparse, most are not!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts