NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herman, an old friend wanted to give the trout a shot this morning. I have to be honest, I was not expecting much with the moon phase. We got skunked for the first hour, not a bite. I moved around, fished different areas, depths and searched hard for bait. I tried everything in the box and had one last idea. We moved even deeper to the edge of a channel. I was watching the Lowrance hard while we eased around on a ledge that dropped from 18 to 27 feet. I finally started seeing some life. I bumped along the drop and we started fishing fire tiger shads right on the bottom. Plan D or E (cant remember) started paying off, we were catching fish now. Herman put a 22.5" trout in the boat just as I hooked up. This fish felt heavy! I couldn't turn her head and bring her up for what felt like 3-4 minutes. I finally got her turned and coming up, she went around the boat twice and under it once. I told Herman this is her, she's BIG! She finally showed herself at the back of the boat next to the motor, coming to the surface head shaking and mouth wide open. It looked like I could stick my size 12 boot in her mouth easily! I don't know if it was my face or the Yamaha but she didn't like one or both. She turned that head and peeled drag as she dove back down. Game Over! Pulled the hook! She was every bit of 28-29" and fat. Hurt my feelings bad! But, back to fishing. Herman put another fat one at 24.5" in the boat soon after. That fish was 3 oz shy of his first citation! It slowed up some more, we caught a handful more from 18-20" and made a bad start turn out pretty good. I will think about "the gator that got away" and Herman will be dreaming about 3 oz as we go back to work for the next 4 days.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.