NC Angler Forums banner

Would you launch a float tube in waters you knew were inhabited by alligators?

• Sure, no problem at all

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Yes, but not alone

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • No way

Votes: 104 69.3%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone on this board has ever float tubed waters that are inhabited by alligators. What are your feelings about it?

Reactions: grandpaa

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
basilwilliam--- I note replies are slow coming in on this question. There may have been some members that float tubed with the gators, but they are probably no longer around to answer.:D

P.S. Never use GUMMY WORMS for bait around alligators.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Gents it looks like the tube will be staying in the stow-a-way container for now. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bread Man, I had thought about trying the waters during the winter months. I assume the gators would be hibernating during the colder months.

I was also wondering about the gummy worms?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Bread Man 1 --- I don't trust any flavor GUMMY WORMS around any reptiles after my encounter with the water moccasin.:D Incidently, Sunday morning when I started to get on my boat in the harbor, I found a huge moccasin had taken up residence on my deck. I caught him in my landing net and dumped him overboard. I would have killed him , but I figured a dozen more would have shown up for his funeral.

Reactions: kclc111

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks fojoloy, looks like I am going to have to buy some GUMMY WORMS when I get back. I wonder if they would work for other species as well. I would have to think the catfish would go for them. I have heard of other people catching freshwater trout and catfish on GUMMY WORMS before, but it was usually kind of a last resort / trivial type thing. I have never heard of anyone targeting fish with such a bait.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Basilwilliam, They just slow down a little in the winter time. But with my new-found knowledge of the ever so powerful gummy worm, I have an idea. Maybe you can bait one side of the bay, or creek with GUMMY WORMS and all of the gators will swarm there. Then you would have the whole other side of the bay to fish. I figure it would probably take 10-15 bags to get a good hour fishing in. You would probably have to go to Wal-Mart:) or SAM's CLUB to buy that many in bulk. I know a lot of the tackle shops stay sold out. Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[But with my new-found knowledge of the ever so powerful gummy worm,]

BM, You did not spell the all powerful GUMMY WORM in all capital letters.:eek:

Awesome theory though. Perhaps I will carry a bag in my tube then if the gators start giving me a hard time I will appease them with the GUMMY WORM while I make a hasty retreat.

Reactions: fishing dad

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Basil,I hope by not capitolizing ALL POWERFUL GUMMY WORM, it doesn't affect their ability any. I'm going in the morning, so I better buy some Tootsie Rolls just in case it does affect them. I used to flounder gig on a small jon boat that leaked really bad. I would gig the fish and toss them in the bottom of the boat. I have had alligators follow me around in January. BIG ONES. I guess they could smell the flounder blood in the water and it made them hungry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I give up. I thought maybe I could get away with float tubing during the winter months, but I see the BIG ONES are still active. I really dont think I would be attacked, but the thought that one might be near by at anytime would defenately give me the ebgeebees. I do not think I would really relax and enjoy myself in such conditions. So what do you do if you have a BIG ONE following you? Do you just take off fo the shore or keep fishing and like just keep a watchful eye on it?

When I was in Marine Boot Camp at Parris Island the Drill Instructors used to always tell us if you tried to run off through the tide waters that the alligators would get you. It thought it was just a scare tactic and for some reason have always been under the impression that all the alligators in the US were in Florida or Northern Gorgia at the most.

Then when I did hear they were in NC, for some reason I just assumed they would be harmless minature versions for some reason. Now my neigbor has been bass fishing and telling me about humongus alligators right near the waters I fish.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
i Have Problems Just Fishing In Waters With Gaters, Dont Like Washing My Hands In Gater Infested Waters,so I Know I Would Have To Be Out Of My Mind To Fish Out Of A Tube. IN Gater Waters...............chris

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.