NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four young men died last week in the water off of Oak Island. Some were students at the college where I work. Others were men I worked with on campus. I suspect they made some poor decisions. Now they are gone. Just a reminder to all who enjoy the water, FILE a FLOATPLAN, take a handheld VHF, get epirbs for your crew, respect the Small Craft Advsories, do it right and do it safely or don't go out at all.
Andy

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
That was a very sad event. Lucky for the other 2 men that that they made it safely to shore. This accident has had a lot of discussion on another board and one of the members is in the USCG. He reminded everyone that if your boat capsizes to stay with the boat! He said they had no problem finding the boat (upside down white hull made it easy to spot) but it's much harder to spot a person in the water. You stand a better chance of being found if the your stay with the boat when possible.

I hope none of us experience that scenario but thought I'd pass that ino just in case.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'll second the stay with the boat. You cannot swim to shore or to something on the horizon....

Weather, weather, weather,,, Always check the weather!!

Be prepared incase caught in bad weather or if the boat goes out from under you. Have at least the minimum required safety gear (double it if possible, there is no price on safety). Safety gear should at the minimum be on the deck accessable, not in a locker or buried under a hatch.

Everyone on the vessel should know a little of how to operate the boat (in case the capt is incapacitated), practice a drill occasionally (even with an experience crew).... All Capt's should know CPR... EVERYONE should know how to hail the coast guard on CH 16

Take a boater safety course and allow/invite USCG to safety inspect your vessel periodically.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect they were shivering and figured they would perish if they did not get ashore. I have always been taught to stay with the boat. However, if noone knew they were out there, no one was likely to see them in the dark. Hence the importance of the float plan and staying with the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.