NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Sutton was stocked with 1 stocking of Florida's.....there was a second one planned but it was dropped when they got back results of the dna of the native fish there before the first stocking.....there were floridas'''' Florida gene some up to SE NC,,,,,most dont know that...also 2 lakes in Virginia have them ....these are not hot water lakes and they do fine there......several 16 lbers have been caught out of these stockings....

Gambusia you posted the same thing on nchuntfish under CRC????

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not True

Does NC have any Florida strain bass fisheries?

Other states, like Arizona, are stocking Florida strain bass.

Florida strain bass= world record size fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Vx3_gN59o

North Carolina's Waters aren't to cold to support Fla Strain LM...Lake Chickamauga has been getting stocked wih Florida Strains for years...FYI, the Tennessee State Record was just broken.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I heard rumors back in the '70's that the Chowan was "privately" stocked with Floridas. I know that I caught several 8-9 lbers from the river back then, but they didn't look like the bass I've caught in Florida over the yrs. I've read that the 1st generation of hybrids, where the floridas cross with the northern strain, produce the biggest bass in these scenerios. I've heard thats what the VA records were, hybrids.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you were to stock them in NC, I would think Harris would be an ideal spot. Already has big fish (so cover and forage are plentiful) plus is a powerplant lake so the water shouldn't get so cold as to kill off the Florida strain fish. That said, how much larger would the Fla fish get than the bass already in there?

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Put some in Belews!!! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you were to stock them in NC, I would think Harris would be an ideal spot. Already has big fish (so cover and forage are plentiful) plus is a powerplant lake so the water shouldn't get so cold as to kill off the Florida strain fish. That said, how much larger would the Fla fish get than the bass already in there?
Florida Strain have a longer length vs FX Strains (which look like Giant Footballs) aka California type LMs... A filled out "TRUE" Florida Strain LM would be George Perry Caliber...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've fished briery creek in FarmVille Virginia about 10 times. They had some monster bass in the lake. They had some kind of disease kill off a lot of the big fish. That lake is a trophy bass lake stocked and built for bass fishing. They didn't cut down any trees when they flooded the lake. I've got a friend that lives up there and I go fishing with the last time I was up there I caught this fish and a few others. He was like we need to move and find bigger fish. My buddy has caught many pigs out of briery and says he won't fish anywhere else.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.