NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to gigging and I have tried a couple places around Harkers Island NC and Taylors Creek without much success. Does anyone know the best time of year or any hot spots around these areas? Any other suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm no expert but I have been trying to gig a few fish since I was about 10 (long time ago....lol). I have found water clarity and the wind (lack of it) to be the biggest factors. Then just look in the same places you would if fishing with hook and line. Ledges with drop offs, points, flats, etc.

The hardest part is getting use to what to look for, the eyes and a slight outline (sometimes just the eyes). They are master's of disguise so it takes a little practice seeing them - just go real slow at first to help spot them.

Keep in mind that a flounder will not run from you at night unless he is touched so take your time and get that gig positioned well and then stab him. Try to aim for just behind the gill plate (his head and gill plates are tough and can cause your gig to slide off the side). If you do scare him, look around the area a few feet in each direction - they usually don't go far.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dang TA, I don't see how you got up so close on those flatfish, when you were 10, especially gigging from a Horse and Buggy! :D :D :eek:

Just Kiddin!!!

My Dad and I, used to wade around the sound, and near the inlet, at Ocracoke, pulling a washtub, sat inside an innertube, with a car battery, and a couple of home made lights, definately the Poor Man's Flounder Gigging.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
LOL. Well like I said - A long time ago....hahaha

My Dad and I, used to wade around the sound, and near the inlet, at Ocracoke, pulling a washtub, sat inside an innertube, with a car battery, and a couple of home made lights, definately the Poor Man's Flounder Gigging.
I'm very familiar with that set up!

Course Forrest made his wife carry the battery .............

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Course Forrest made his wife carry the battery .............

TA---Many years ago, my wife and I were staying at the Lake Side Motel on Ocracoke. One evening were were talking with three elderly gentlemen who were out there flounder gigging for the week. My wife told them the tale about her carrying the car battery while I gigged ( she can tell story much better than I than I can write about it) --two of them fell off the porch laughing. The third turned to me and seriously asked, " You ever hire her out?" That's when I fell off the porch.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now thats FUNNY Forrest! LOLOL

I didn't mention, we hit the big time with that set up, we used to do it, with a single mantle Coleman Lantern, with a piece of tin foil on the back side of the globe, and a piece of rope, tied to the bottom of the lantern, up to the center of the handle, to keep the light angled at the water!! LOL

·
Registered
791 Posts
Best advice I can give you is learn to identify 15.5" fish BEFORE you stab them.. .fishery guys are all over the place at night seeking out giggers for ticket quotas.

Go slow and make sure your lights are under the water enough to prevent glare.

·
Registered
631 Posts
ive never had much luck flounder gigging either, and im not actually too fond of the sport itself
but when i used to attempt it i would normally end up dropping a finger mullet or a peice of trash infront of them then fight them in
for a 8 year old thats sight fishing at its best

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you gig when the tides are changing around the inlets would problably be easier. Unless you are like me and like staying out all night without having to hear the nagging tone of your wife, go out at low tide and wander around for a bit. Just be careful, you can get yourself turned around real quick from looking down for so long. And keep in mind, if you hit a oyster bed or sandbar and aren't ready for it, you will fall off. Happened to me...twice

·
Registered
96 Posts
Everyone has their preferences on gigging. There are a lot of factors such as to gig high tide, low tide, incoming tide, outgoing tide, moon phase, sandy bottom, mud bottom, hard bottom etc......
My advice is to get high quality submersible lights, stainless steel gig and pole and get on the water. The more you go, the more that you will find whatever works for you the best. Whenever you find them, take notes and try to repeat who/what/when/where. Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have started a journal and jot down tides, wind, moon, water clarity, dates, times, areas & any notes(ie only high tide places),gps #'s,etc. That will help u 2 b aware and ready when perfect conditions. B/c no 2 people say the same thing, so see what works 4 u! If u are not having any luck, don't hesitate 2 move! @ the places u mentioned u probably won't b the only car n the lot. So u MAY be going behind some1!! It takes practice just like fishing! Attitude is everything!! Have fun!! Look 4 lots of "empty" holes in area, too.
Good luck! If it lays flat(over16") Stick it!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.