NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm down at Emerald Isle with the family for the week and brought my handheld gigging lights. The boat is broke and back home. I'm not too familiar with gigging in this area, especially from land. If any of you guys have any advice, I sure would appreciate it. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want anything to me be made public.

My stepson made these two LED gigging lights and am anxious to try them out. The bulb states it is equal to a 75 watt regular light. I tested it out with 8 AA batteries and I turned it off after five hours. It's vacation and I don't plan on gigging any longer than that. Thanks for any advice.
IMG_20140602_150256_731 (2).jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are homemade as you can tell. Most LED gigging lights have a focused field of light, but I'm old-school and like a 360 view. I bought these bulbs off Amazon for $15, got the shield and globe from Agri-Supply in Garner. The key was the 1/2" to 1 1/2" threaded PVC connector with a smooth end from Lowe's. The rest of the PVC came from Lowe's with the 8 AA battery holder and switch from Radio Shack. Maiden voyage is tonight, so shall see how it does.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Gator aint going to mess with you.
... 'cause the bull sharks ate em all!

Light in one hand, gig in the other? I've never seen such a thing, but just watched a few youtube variations... did not see a single flounder though. As you said, both of the ones I saw online were directional. I wondered if that might give better shadowing for the lower perspective you'll have on foot. In any case yours look way cooler.

Looking forward to the report!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Growing up that was the way a lot of folks flounder gigged.
People had different set ups. Some people had inner tubes that pulled along behind them that held a car battery to run the light.

And I have and still will get out on a sand bar on the ocean/inlet at dead low and gig flounder. Gigged alot of flounder like that.
We use homemade stainless gigs made out of round stock. String tied off the blunt end of the gig. Gig a flounder, point the gig straight up and let him stringer himself. On to the next one.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Growing up that was the way a lot of folks flounder gigged.
People had different set ups. Some people had inner tubes that pulled along behind them that held a car battery to run the light.

And I have and still will get out on a sand bar on the ocean/inlet at dead low and gig flounder. Gigged alot of flounder like that.
We use homemade stainless gigs made out of round stock. String tied off the blunt end of the gig. Gig a flounder, point the gig straight up and let him stringer himself. On to the next one.
Many years ago on a 'slick cam' night I was on a pier watching two guys employ that technique. They had a bunch of flatties strung up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brother in law and I walk and gig everytime we head down to their house in EI. They have a house at the intersection of Ring St and Channel Dr.

There's nothing more fun than to gig out of the boat.

We were using a boat battery floating in a tin "boat" and 100w incandescent bulbs....but have since switched to prefabbed LED lights now

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I grew up walking and gigging at Drum Inlet. We took large chunks of Styrofoam, chiseled out a place for the car battery and off we went. Like Drum runner, we used stainless steel stock to make a gig. One end had a hole drilled into in for a small rope. We took a cork off an old seine and tied the rope on the other end.

Guess what? It all still works. With the new high-tech LED lights, we were able to gig three last night. Stick the founder, slide you hand under him and point the gig skyward. Then let the fish slide down onto the rope. I can tell you one thing--it was very, very nice having no wires or big batteries. The LED lights we used have four chips on the end with all the other ones in a circle. They worked perfectly. The result is a nice fish fry that I will start on in about 45 minutes.

IMG_20140602_234636_262.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts