NC Angler Forums banner

How often do you catch your daily bag limit of flounder?

• More than 5 times per season

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Less than 5 times, but at least once per season

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Occasionally, but not once per season

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Only once in the past 5 years

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I've never caught my limit in a day's time

Votes: 71 67.6%

Flounder - How often do you limit out?

9K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  sabendman 
#1 ·
Considering the recent discussion of proposed new flounder regulations, just wondering how many flounder the members of this site normally bring home. From the posts here, I'm tempted to say that few if any of us ever catch a single daily limit during the season, but rather than make assumptions, why not just ask?

The poll is aimed at Hook & Line fishing only.

(Not trying to start a discussion of the policies here, please lets just keep it to numbers and hopefully the post will stay up long enough to get a good sampling.)

Reactions: kthomas and BigE818
#7 ·
I'm strictly a surf/pier guy. Thinking back it seems to me that surf/pier fishing for flounder was better 10+ years ago than it has been recently. Never caught my limit but have had some 3-6 keeper days mixed in. From my experience I usually get more keepers, but catch less in the CB/Kure beach area than the Topsail/EI areas. I've had days in the fall in the topsail/EI areas where I would catch 10-20 flounder in the surf or pier but rarely more than 1 or 2 keepers, sometimes 0. The last few years have been challenging to say the least but I haven't fished as much.

#14 ·
Lets go. I am sure you can teach me a few things. Just started last year learning how to fish for them. BTW from your original post and poll it sounds like you talk to the directors office at marine fisheries. I expressed real concern over the proposed one fish limit last Friday. How dropping from 6 to 1 fish limit was unacceptable percentage drop. His response was its not that high because no one was catching a limit anyway. We talked about that for quite a while. Looks like your poll is proving him correct for the most part in that very very few are catching a limit. I still don't like his math.

#15 ·
Haven't talked to anyone at the marine fisheries. The thought just occured to me that I rarely ever land more than a couple keeper flounder in a day's time, and I don't know a lot of folks who regularly do a lot better even though they are much better fishermen than me. Just because I don't personally know of many who do though doesn't really tell much of a tale - hence the survey.
If the poll nets 100 responses it still isn't much of a sample, but you're correct, from the looks of things on THIS poll, lowering the creel limit won't really change much for the average fisherman. Again though, there's not much scientific about this and would hate to see it used as justification for changes one way or the other.

#21 ·
this is the only man i know that catches keeper flounder !!!

Uncle C let me borrow those 2 so I'd know what it's like to hold a keeper flounder in each hand

#35 ·
New to the sight and already I've seen more information that is going to make a beginner turn into an ol salt in no time lol....I am a pier guy, I just started fishing heavily for flounder last year using Chris Medlin's technique of the fan out-drag your bait type of way on youtube. I used to try the finger mullet under the pier but to no avail. I always catch my fair share ranging from 5-8 throughout the day and always end up having to toss them back (ALL). I have yet to see a keeper going down to Kure Beach Pier but I haven't tried Seaview yet this year. Again you guys are great with all the information I've been seeing on this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.