NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go out for a quick fish after work tonight. Headed to a new spot and fished for an hour - no luck. So moved to one of my favorites a few miles away and bingo! Caught 2 nice 17" flounder within 5 minutes of each other. That was at 7:30 - and that was it - no bites after.

Saw a lot of Redfish but couldn't get them interested in anything I had - didn't have any live bait though. - Parrothead, I even use one of those paddletail electric chickens...lol.....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Was that near low slack water when you spotted the reds? Oops...not likely according to tide chart. I believe in rootbeer with gold for them reds. Electric chicken for trout among many other crazy looking color combinations such as hot pink and yellow, chartruese and gold etc. Them reds can suprise you now and then but overall I've done better with brown shades and gold for any flash. Of course we know you were fishing gulp and if they would'nt chow down on that they weren't hungry.:D

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using every color/shape of Gulp! I had and everything else I could drag out of the box. I used a rootbeer with gold flake colored gulp! as well as others. Only thing I didn't have was live bait as it was a quick trip.

The Reds I caught Saturday were on the Blue jerk bait Gulps! and one on a gray/silver jerkbait.

Low tide was at 10pm so I was fishing second half of mid-tide.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite is finger mullet! They are lively, plentiful this time of year through fall, hardy both on a hook and in the baitwell and the flounder/redfish seem to love them. I also like Pogies (menhaden), shiners and mud minnows. For redfish, if I have time to hunt down some crabs, those work well too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like you had a short, but productive evening there T. A. I love Flounder fishing, but my boat only has 2 legs, LOL Sometimes I'll park at the south end, walk to the inlet, and fish back towards the truck, but never seem to have much luck. Hard to carry alot of gear when you're on foot, LOL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mark, maybe we can link up sometime when you are down. Your next trip (July 31 - Aug 4) will be tough for me though as I have to work in the daytime and help out at our VBS at night all that week. But maybe I can find an afternoon to slip out or something.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They wouldn't bite Gulp! or Electric Chickens? I'm not sure they were drum ;). I think Mike saw a school of big hardhead mullet and got confused :D.

Seabiscuit and I are taking a day-trip to Myrtle this Saturday while the women-folk enjoy a baby shower for the wife. We're going down to visit Bass Pr.... 'er.... I mean his mother. I'm gonna try to pick up the latest from Saltwater Assassin, the Shrimp Cocktail. I think I'll put something in the Saltwater Tips and Tactics pages instead of here though.

Anyway, 2 keeper flounder, you can't complain.:)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mark, all I can say is you certainly have the right screen name. Make sure to hook up with Mike though, He has the sound side wired. I have a strong feeling he Knows Onslow Bay pretty good too although I haven't heard many first hand reports from there lately. I guess the weatherman is to blame for that.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sinker man said:
I have a strong feeling he Knows Onslow Bay pretty good too although I haven't heard many first hand reports from there lately. I guess the weatherman is to blame for that.
Yup. Saturdays are my ocean fishing day and the weather has been bad the last couple of weeks. Won't be out there tomorrow either by looking at the marine weather forecast :mad:. It has been beautiful all week, reports have been that the ocean was as flat and shiney as a mirror but here comes the week-end weather :(.

Oh well, at least living here I get the opportunity to "pop-out" onto the water after work on week days occasionaly. Can't complain about that :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ParrotHead said:
Seabiscuit and I are taking a day-trip to Myrtle this Saturday while the women-folk enjoy a baby shower for the wife. We're going down to visit Bass Pr.... 'er.... I mean his mother.
LOL! Almost baptized my keyboard in Coke over that one!!
Lefty

·
Registered
523 Posts
Lefty - We visited both, Grandma and Bass Pro. (we did go to Grandma first ;)).

Anyway, I have to brag a little. Spent about an hour in Bass Pro and walked around the stop with an oar that borrowed from the boating section. I used the oar to relentlessy beat the tackle monkey. I left the store with a whopping $11.65 bill, a personal best for me. And 6 bicks of that I'm getting back, cause it was igloo cooler hinges for someone else. So for a little over 5 bucks, I left Bass Pro with 2 Lew's cigar plugs and a good time.

Here's a tip... When on a road trip with a 7 year old, do NOT let him have a virgin margarita with lunch at the mexican restaurant :eek:. This turned out to be a VERY BAD idea. Who'da thunk it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.