NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, before I continue I want to make sure everyone knows that I am not saying that flounder "jump" (not saying they don't either) in the same manner as mullet.
Today I was paddling out and the tide was low. I was trudging through 6-8" of water, into the wind and the tide was rushing out fast. As I was making my way over this mud flat there was a lot of mullet, shrimp etc that I was spooking as I moved through. All of a sudden a flounder about 14-15" long flipped into the front of my kayak. It flopped over white side up, made a couple of more very quick flips and flipped right out as fast as it came in. It was easy to estimate the size because it landed right at the front where my feet are and there is a separation up there that has a "cutting board". This is a useless item other than it gave me a quick size reference for the few seconds the fish was aboard. I've had mullet and shrimp invite themselves in many times and it is always as I spook them. One night, just before pitch black, I was paddling hard to get back. I was in the super skinny section near the place I launch and mullet and shrimp were jumping like crazy. All of a sudden I feel a whap in my side right under my arm pit. It was a large striped mullet that hit me and it startled me big time.
Anyone else have guests come and go without so much as a howdy do?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have watched several flounder jump or roll kinda out of the water. First few times I thought I was crazy. One of the few things we get to experience in a kayak. Most boaters may never see that.
Id go more with the "right place, right time" scenario....as I have witnessed it on Lockwood Folly myself in a boat....little flounder about 12" jumped right out of the water in front of us while we were anchored out one day.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Fishing at Lake Mattamuskeet years ago, a bass jumped into your jonboat. I don't fish salt enough to have seen anything like what you described, but I have had bait fish jump into the boat fishing the Pass at Pensacola.

Neat that you got to see something not many people see!

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
One day when I get time to edit the bad word (from being shocked lol) so I can post it here. You can search you tube for air flounder and see it.

Would you share?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
336 Posts
One day when I get time to edit the bad word (from being shocked lol) so I can post it here. You can search you tube for air flounder and see it.
That was pretty sweet. Once in a lifetime video right there. Now challenger just needs to get us some video of the jumping reds and we can all be humbled as I have been so many times when I think I've seen it all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.