NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really surprised with all the flounder talk about how people catch limits. I have a 218 dlv and fish the morehead area. we are headed down in the am. Some weeks we go down and me and the wife might catch 100 or more on hook and line with only a handful of keepers. we fish the marshes with mud minnows and gulp. we fish the port wall and bridges also. what do we need to do to catch more keepers? it seems like we catch more keepers when we can go off shore and fish the reefs. any help would be great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
100 or more flounder?!?! I have fished every weekend since I moved here a month ago in my kayak and my 18 foot bay boat and i have only caught 3 (all under 15"). I think you should be offering advice and not asking for it! lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was really surprised with all the flounder talk about how people catch limits. I have a 218 dlv and fish the morehead area. we are headed down in the am. Some weeks we go down and me and the wife might catch 100 or more on hook and line with only a handful of keepers. we fish the marshes with mud minnows and gulp. we fish the port wall and bridges also. what do we need to do to catch more keepers? it seems like we catch more keepers when we can go off shore and fish the reefs. any help would be great.
It's tuff all over. NCWRC is considering a 1 fish, 18" min. Like they do at Chesapeake Bay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's tuff all over. NCWRC is considering a 1 fish, 18" min. Like they do at Chesapeake Bay.
1 flounder. Wow, I hope not. I would however like to see the min length go to 18". It's funny. You fish here and all measure in around 14-15. You fish up there (Chesapeake) and they all measure around 17. Size limits do work

·
Registered
321 Posts
In my experience the chances of getting bigger and more fish is the offshore reefs as you noted.Use bigger baits than you are using for inshore.Mud minnows will work but you will be very surprised at the size of the baits that a 3lb.+ flounder will hit.I have seen them go crazy for 8" to 10" inch baits that we sabikied for king mackerel.Around the port wall no bait is too large.An 8 or 10 lb. flounder will eat a bait that I would fillet and have for di nner.You must be patient and let them swallow it.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Are you saying VA has a 1 fish limit in the Bay. I don't think so.
  • Minimum Size Limit: 16 IN.
    Possession Limit: 4 per person
    Season: NONE
    Capture Citation: 7 Lbs
    Release Citation: 26 IN.
    State Record: 17 lbs 8 oz, 1971, Charles E. Cross
    The above flounder restrictions apply to Virginia tidal waters, except that in Virginia's Potomac River tributaries the minimum size limit, closed season, and possession limit will be the same as established by the PRFC for the mainstem Potomac River

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you saying VA has a 1 fish limit in the Bay. I don't think so.
  • Minimum Size Limit: 16 IN.
    Possession Limit: 4 per person
    Season: NONE
    Capture Citation: 7 Lbs
    Release Citation: 26 IN.
    State Record: 17 lbs 8 oz, 1971, Charles E. Cross
    The above flounder restrictions apply to Virginia tidal waters, except that in Virginia's Potomac River tributaries the minimum size limit, closed season, and possession limit will be the same as established by the PRFC for the mainstem Potomac River
18" limit.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Ask the Commercial guys who are netting the crap out of every fish in the water lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fished Chesapeake for flounder a few years back. they are screwed up also. 18 in. minimum. all fish caught were 16 to 17 " . commercial guide fishing behind us keeping the same size fish we had too throw back. at the marina we asked how could he and his people on board a guided trip keep al those fish? found out the guide has a commercial license and legally can keep all the fish his party caught. I got so mad I told the motel I was going back to n.c. the motel refused to refund my unused time. I told them what they could kiss and left for home. will not go back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
100 or more flounder?!?! I have fished every weekend since I moved here a month ago in my kayak and my 18 foot bay boat and i have only caught 3 (all under 15"). I think you should be offering advice and not asking for it! lol.
Aint that the truth!
Went to coast Friday night didnt get back to Holly Springs until Tuesday evening

Didnt catch nothing worth photoing!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm going to do a little Kayak flounder fishing this weekend in some creeks near an Lockfolly Inlet this weekend. I'll post a report if I do any good. I would consider upsizing baits if you're catching that many shorts. 5" mullet minnows or a 6" pogie seem to be the ticket for bigger fish. I prefer fishing artificials myself, but I do find I have a larger size average on live bait. I typically stick w/ Gulp/Z man w/ procure. I watched a Jimmy Price (a true big flounder catching legend) seminar that has helped me tremendously increase my #s and size. I'm not sure, but you may be able to find one of his seminars online?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We moved down to New Bern several years ago from Rhode Island. I'm disappointed to hear how hard it is to get a limit of flounder! Up in RI several years ago the size limit was up to 23.5 inches with a 5 fish limit! You could still get your limit if you worked at it all day. This year it is down to 18.5 inches with a 8 fish limit. Their season will get going in another few weeks. The commercial guys up there can take 14 inch fish (not worth killing IMHO). My best up there was 8lb 6oz. Most all the fish up there are caught along the beaches in about 35-55 feet of water although I have caught them in as deep 90 feet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.